Some one has to start it, Americas default.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Die broke. It saves a lot of fights later on.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Yeah, reminds me of a bumper sticker I see pretty regularly (our area gets a lot of retirees and snowbirds): "We're spending our children's inheritance."

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

You forgot to mention..book and prepay for your funeral before you die

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Stickers 2nd line should read

"OH and we are leaving this country in so much Debt you will never get ahead"

or

"We sold the US to Japan and China, hope you like your new bosses"

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Although funerals are indeed becoming more and more expensive death still remains very popular.

6. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

I don' t usually take these things personally, Boston. I wouldn't even get involved in the discussions if the discussions didn't always seem so one-sided for the wrong side. Someone has to throw in a reality check now and then.

For example, I gave a half dozen examples of blatant pro-Democrat media bias and you responded by stating --with no evidenced whatsoever-- that the media is Republican biased, and then asked me what my evidence was. My evidence is all of the lame, irrelevant, or dishonest stories written to hurt Republicans along with the way that the media deliberately avoids stories that might hurt Democrats. These things have been documented for a couple of decades now, and anyone who really cares to look at the evidence has no doubt which way the media bias goes. But when I mention just a few of the many examples, you just ignore them. I'm inclined to think that you just don't want to know, Boston.

Our situations aren't parallel, Boston. I'm upset by actual facts, like the fact of how much I pay in taxes, and the fact that the federal government continues to spend more and more money on things that are none of its business. Like the fact that I can't carry a gun to defend myself or buy a car without an air bag or smoke in a bar or ride a bicycle without a helmet. Like the fact that there are tens of thousands of laws and regulations that could send me to jail even though it is impossible for me to know even a fraction of them. Like the fact that the police have taken to serving no-knock warrants on trivial matters and that a lot of people (and dogs) have been killed completely unnecessarily as a result.

And, the things I want are pretty clear: I want to eliminate or greatly reduce a bunch of specific federal departments. I want to get government out of health care, out of retirement planning, and generally out of my life.

If your anger is based on facts, it's a little hard to imagine what the would be. For example, you hate Christians, which is just as much rank bigotry as hating Jews or Muslims. The only difference is that hating Jews or Muslims is politically incorrect while hating Christians won't get you sneered at by Hollywood celebs. You hate Sarah Palin who has never done anything to anyone. She was charged with a dozen ethics violations as governor, but all of the charges were shown to be baseless. Can you imagine having two years of your email released and major news organizations all over the country going crazy, hoping to find some scandal in them? How many of us could stand that kind of examination? Sarah Palin passed with flying colors. Even the dirt bag who wrote a book about her with every nasty rumor he could find, admitted that he didn't have any evidence to back up the rumors. Sarah Palin is a sweet and lovely woman who cares deeply about her country, hates corruption, and would like the media to stop being so mean to her for no reason. I can see Democrats being relieved that she didn't get elected, but the virulent, rabid hatred that people have for her is so incomprehensible it borders on insanity.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Just a note the greeks retire at 55 on a state pension , the Germans retire at 65 and will shortly be 67 as will Switzerland.

I dont like Unions --they stop people from being employed. If you have never employed then you dont know what Im talking about, as a one man band it is a huge step that can bankrupt you.

You now have to pay taxes for him and his contributions, if he turns ot to be crap you cant fire him but continue to pay for hs incompetance and absenteeism, heathy care and 3 holidays a week.

If you a one man band wanting to expand with little resources you are in a lot of trouble. On top of this will be lawers fees to fight your way through court for unfare dismassal.

People say we need more jobs,--well make it so you can employ then without commiting financial suicide and put you in debt and put you in the queue at the dole office as well.

Minimum wage should be what you are worth. 3 months probation period should be law

Unions ---idiots, if you dont like your job and your unable to negotiate yourself go get another job if you think your worth it you will soon be employed !!!!

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think she is sweet, I bet its a bit of a goer in bed too but I dont want anther one of thoes in the white house.

Not stong enough David, bit like your argument.

I want see the meanest ******* on the planet.

9. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

LOL Good one Frosty

10. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

I think you missed the point, Troy. I don't think that Democrats are evil, freedom-hating monsters, and that post wasn't about Democrats anyway, it was about the news media. It was factual list of incidents that show how the press covers up for Democrats and attacks Republicans. No half-truths, distortions, or exaggerations were used or needed to prove my point. I don't even consider biased reporting to be an especially bad thing if it were honest bias like you get from talk radio and the commentary on Fox News where they tell you exactly where they are coming from. What I object to is claiming to be impartial while you are working towards a partisan agenda, and printing opinion pieces as if it were objective news.

Typically, when someone uses "faith" in a derogatory sense, he means that there is no evidence. But there is reams of evidence to back up this opinion, starting with the fact that several studies have shown around 90% of the people in the news business are Democrats or Leftists.

Now that article is an example of the half-truths and distortions that you accuse me of. First, it assumes the common Democrat lie that corporations are right-leaning. Back in the days when unions were a major threat to corporations, they tended to lean Republican just because Republicans wanted an even playing field rather than stacking the deck in favor of the unions. Since unions have grown less significant, corporation go to whoever will give them the most benefits, and that tends to be Democrats.

Here are some more examples from that article:
    This doesn't show that the news isn't usually biased, it goes to show that "right-wing media watchdogs" are willing to admit when the coverage is not biased. So when they say it is biased, they should have more credibility.
    No documentation for this claim, but I'll bet it's related to two other facts (1) right-leaning organizations are almost always identified as right-leaning, while left-leaning ones are usually referred to without partisan labels to give them an air of objectivity and (2) there are more and better-staffed right-leaning think tanks. If you want the left-wing partisan viewpoint, you go to a university administrator, or an NGO or something like and environmentalist group.
    A useless statistic. (1) corporations outnumber unions by a lot more than seven to one, (2) corporations are not right-leaning in general, and (3) major corporations have staffs of economic experts, but no one expects a union to have economic experts.

Why did they have to go all the way back to 1932 so that they could say that? Why not back to 1970? Also there are lots of small local papers that aren't Democrat partisans and they are just counting papers rather than measuring influence or number of readers.

Nope. Strom Thurmond was never in the KKK. He was a segregationist at one time, but the KKK wasn't just segregationist, they were a terrorist organization who killed people for political purposes. The KKK leader was Robert Byrd who died a Democrat Senator in 2010. That's right, in 2010, the Democrats still had a former member of the KKK in Congress, and you never knew about it. Do you seriously think that if the most senior Republican in the Senate were a former terrorist, that you would never have heard about it? This is a clear case of the entire national media covering up for a powerful Democrat.

I wasn't talking about Larry Craig; I was talking about Mark Foley and the fact that the media avoided mentioning him and how different the reaction was to him vs. Foley.

At least two hundred murders have been attributed to the guns.
    The acting head of the ATF was involved. He says the FBI was involved and so where the DEA, ATF, IRS, Immigration and Customs, and CIA, which requires very high-level coordination from at least five very high-level people. Also, it now seems that the Attorney General was involved also.

Let me add, that the point here is not the scandal itself (some of the "facts" I listed may turn out to be wrong), but that an incredibly juicy scandal like this with half-a-dozen federal agencies involved, congressional testimony from high-level people, apparent lies to Congress, a couple of hundred people killed, and weapons being delivered to a group that is effectively in a civil war with a friendly foreign government --it is beyond belief that this is not a huge lead-off story every day. The only explanation that has any plausibility is that the news media are buckling under to pressure from the government in a way that they never would have for a Republican.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I suppose I should have said sources, or maybe I did I didn't go back and look Dave but I did go back and check your original post I was responding to. It didn't note any sources, sure it listed some accusations but few names and no sources.

When you make a claim like KKK member in congress or whatever it was it helps if you provide a link to support the claim.

For instance
    Sawa was in it for the money, period.
    http://www.mediaite.com/print/revealed-why-sarah-palin-quit-being-governor/
    I didn't write the article but there's about five more like it just on the first page of a google search of "Palin quits as governor amid a barrage of legal troubles"

now thats the kind of specifics one can look up and check to see if the original statement is accurate or not.

I think in this case any reasonable person is forced to agree that
    yes there are a number of articles claiming Palin quite cause of the money issues. Went after a book deal that provided sufficient funds to cover her legal expenses. Abandoned her post and the people of Alaska for personal gain .

Granted none of them focus particularly on her intellectual issues but then again thats not the claim that was made.

maybe some evening when I'm not dead tired ( worked about 12 hours today ) we can dig into the media question. But there might just be some valid reasons why so many people don't think Palin is even remotely suitable for public orifice. Her ratings were dropping like a rock pretty much from the time she walked into the job and she collected law suet's about as fast as any governor in recent history. Name one other who's legal expenses forced them out of orifice with half there term left to serve? Since 1900, only 3 have quit before completing there term, http://www.themudflats.net/2009/07/09/first-term-quitters-hall-of-fame/ Jim McGreevy, Eliot Spitzer and Sarah Palin. and I"m not so sure the other two quit amid legal troubles. So its pretty telling on the quality of leadership for anyone to be so poor at there job to end up 3 out of 1200 governors since 1900 who quit.

PS
    You missed my point completely about christianity, Pauline christianity specifically. falling back on politically correctness which was never my thing is just avoiding the issue. Deal is your going to be hard pressed to expound the virtues of any form of christianity to an educated native american. Its just never going to go over real big. Clearly the native peoples have smartened up some and the traditional belief systems are taking off like wild fire. If your thinking my opinion somehow stems from a lack of historical knowledge, bias, or an effort to in some way, fit in, well, I guess its hard to really know someone just over a computer connection.

anyway best of luck
    B

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Cant see you lasting long working for Uncle Rupert if you were a lefty??

13. hoytedow

People are dying to have funerals.

14. hoytedow

You summed it up nicely.

15. hoytedow

Sarah Palin left the Alaska governorship to stop the flood of frivolous lawsuits from lefty wackos(or wacky leftos). It is as simple as that. Nut jobs.