Some one has to start it, Americas default.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im surprised you posted that Mas I just posted a link suggesting that thats not true

2. masalai

masalai masalai

I know 3 friends who ARE NOT Australians who own real-estate in Australia... The media here is crying that the Chinese are busy buying farms, mines and other "mission critical" properties... Japanese interests own several resort and retail outlets and staff with Japanese speaking employees to cater for the Japanese tourist activity...

Frosty,
    from your dated link... "Foreigners investing from abroad will be limited to buying only new properties." and seems that many farms, commercial businesses, mines and so on are still open opportunities...

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Yes- but I was countering a specific time frame: 2000 to 2007 as offered by Troy.

There is no debate that the US economy is currently stagnant.
    I will look up the Jeckyl book but have two in line afore that one....

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

The housing boom happened world wide and caused housing prices to outstrip earnings increases.
    The shift of wealth towards property is I present the driving feature of long term economic cycles.
    Are you current on property values in UK?
    In the states the collapse of the bubble has returned property values to near the long line which corresponds to earnings:

"For the U.S. as a whole, home prices were around 2.9 times incomes from 1985 to 2000. But during the housing boom, values increased at a much faster rate than incomes. The price-to-income ratio peaked at around 5.1 in 2005. Home prices have since fallen so that on average, nationally, prices are around 3.3 times incomes, or about 14% above the historical trend."
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904253204576512532609819142.html

The writing was on the wall:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article534971.ece

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

interesting stuff folks

Hey Cat keep us posted on the charter biz findings, I'm kinda thinking of something similar so am most curious to see if you can escape the evil clutches.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Housing will be much cheaper after the next war, once you get the smell out.

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I will, Bos.

I should make it clear to posters on this side shoot topic that I've been doing charters professionally for about 10 years now. I also ran megayacht charters in the Caribbean. I've been out of the "evil clutches" ever since I watched those towers fall in Manhattan with my own two eyes when I lived there.

I'm ashore for the first time in 10 years to build this new charter boat. When I say that, I really mean it. We live at anchor 24/7/365 except a few winters that we wintered over on a dock (still 24/7/365). We sold the old charter boat to buy materials for the new one. It's my primary line of business, not a hobby. I have a Masters, STCW-95, etc... etc...

I normally run my charters in the States, but I wish to branch out and run them in places I enjoy being in as well. I figure this might go better than for the average American since I'm also a card carrying citizen of one of the Group of 12 EU countries. That gets you into a lot of various islands, as well as the whole EU.

Sometimes it's more an advantage to set up as a European, sometimes as an American. It's figuring out the fine details of all of that which is the real issue for chartering internationally.

Anyway, it is finding a CPA that can understand all of these issues that has been a struggle. First, they don't understand boats. Second, they don't understand international taxation laws. Third, they don't understand dual citizenship. I've been looking for someone competent in these areas for a while now, but nobody has the knowledge.

Just figured I'd throw that out there so next time I make some comments and people have some ideas on them, I've already shared my background.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

While House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, pictured standing, far right, speaks, colleagues Rep. Barbara Lambert, D-Milford and Rep. Jack F. Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, play solitaire Monday night as the House convened to vote on a new budget. (AP)

The guy sitting in the row in front of these two....he's on Facebook, and the guy behind Hennessy is checking out the baseball scores.

These are the folks that couldn't get the budget out by Oct. 1, and are about to control your health care, cap and trade, and the list goes on and on…;.

Attached Files:

9. Tug

Tug Junior Member

I am looking forward to all the sexy American mail order brides that will be available soon...
    Cheers
    Tug

10. masalai

masalai masalai

The gloom of the GEC is not just USA & Europe, The financial crisis hits Australia too, and look at this overview and case in point - "BlueScope Steel" an Australian steelmill... Not necessarily the fault of the strong Au$ - but that helped a bit ... http://www.moneymorning.com.au/ ... 'It's Not BlueScope Steel's Fault. It's the High Aussie Dollar!' is not loaded to the website yet?

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Catbuilder

2 passports from 2 bankrupt continents...
    global taxation is what Europe/UK is thinking of next...ouch

12. CatBuilder

Ugh. Time to work on getting a 3rd? Ha ha ha

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Dismantle the UN and guard your borders.

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

interesting topic. on the local news sunday night here they suggested australia is about to have a major fall in real estate prices, it has already started in a couple of places.

15. CatBuilder

Some in depth reading about the US Federal Reserve and its role in keeping the WORLD financial system afloat during the recent economic crisis.

Guess all you folks bashing the US govt and the Fed might want to read this for an account of what actually happened.

Europe would also be toast if it wasn't for the US Federal Reserve. Check it out:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wall-Street-Aristocracy-Got-bloomberg-3867126984.html?x=0