Some newbie questions

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JordieS, Apr 7, 2011.

1. JordieS

JordieS Junior Member

Dear everyone,

I've been rummaging through these forums for quite a while and I really want to build a 5-6m fiberglass ski-boat style boat.

I have no experience whatsoever and was just wondering if anyone would be able to explain how everything works, from mold making to fiberglass laying and all other necessary things.

Hope to learn a lot more and these forums have already taught me so much.

Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, it would be possible to explain everything, but this wouldn't be the best format to absorb all the things you need to know. Books, videos, blogs and previous threads here on specific subjects, as well as specific questions in this thread.

First, I would study about the building methods, for a one off 'glass hull. Once you've gained some familiarity with these you can select a design based on these build methods. Next would be the actual design selection, which can be a difficult process for many (lots of choices). Once you've purchased a set of plans (the only logical route for a novice builder) you'll find 'glass types and weights and other material specifications listed in the BOM (Bill of Materials), which will help your shopping around for stuff.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I think the first question for you would be what is your motivation for building the boat yourself?