Some good deals on multi hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ondarvr, Sep 7, 2017.

1. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

or for gas

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's not so much about selling water as not getting caught with their pants down, as has happened previously with the lawsuits that follow. I used to live on Marco Island, which is about 6' above sea level. A very small portion of the island is is a good bit higher, but most will have floating furniture after a 10' over ground surge swims through. Given the remoteness of this area, Naples, Goodland, Everglades City, Key West, etc. will be all but wiped of the map. Let's hope she rubs up against Cuba, loses some intensity and hangs a slow northward turn, which will offer some open water to build strength again, but this is the hurricane they've feared for decades, if current tracks are consistent.

3. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Another pic Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 9.40.34 AM.png

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

The latest weather report just said to evacuate back to Miami!!!!!! This was the most ridiculous handling of an emergency I have even seen!!!!!

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Distant evacuation seems problematical, but in areas where there are many millions of inhabitants, dedicated shelters would be difficult to provide. There is probably a good case to have school halls e.g. built to withstand cyclones/hurricanes, so they can be used when needed, but still have normal functionality.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Storms don't really give a damn what we think.
    Even the best professionals can't perfectly predict Mother Nature.

I guess that is why the projected storm track gives a wide area where any given storm MIGHT head.

All I really want is that idiot Rush Limbaugh to be right in the middle, telling us how it is all a scam.

7. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Given the severity of Irma and sheer number of people, I believe the initial order to evacuate Miami was a reasonable decision. This latest decision may be entirely wrong if Irma jigs when it is expected to jog. Big decisions involving the weather are always going to be messy.

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

It might be cheaper and safer to build a number of large shelters inland form our major coastal cities . May be make them nuke proof too , kill two birds with one stone .

9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most modern schools are designed as emergency shelters. Some older schools will have complied to the "Civil Defense" standards established in the 50's and 60's.

I think this evaluation program has been the best run on record and I've been through quite a few. I used to live on Marco Island, which will likely be all but wiped of the map by tomorrow night. The decisions thus far have been timely and warranted. In spite of the best intentions, mother nature never is predictable and as in this case, she's found a way to screw the pooch on the best laid plans. Welcome to reality.

My hopes and predictions have come true and she did rub on Cuba for over half a day, knocking a considerable edge off her wrath. She also seems to want to track farther west, so my hope for the Bermudian high weakening and rolling east have also panned out. This is good for me not getting a direct hit, but southwest Florida is now in their worst case scenario. When on Marco, we often talked about this, a storm marching up the coast, putting an eye wall over the island. Being about 6' above high tide across most of the island, well you can guess. I think Tom Cruise's mother's house is about 8' over sea level, though I'll bet he has good insurance. I met him at a Publix supermarket while I was there. An arrogant and little puppy (5' 5' with his shoes on) he was, with some obvious Napoleon syndrome going on.

10. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I agree with this evacuation being the best on record , it is how the new,s networks spin a storm that put so much fear in people that some over react . People who have lived along a coast most of their lives know what they need to do to prepare for a storm , just like Par has done . Thr mentality that everyone needs to run , and run far is flawed .

11. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

The media has been terrible through Irma!!

I can't imagine where this guy came from, had to be Cuba! This is South Beach

I spent the whole day Sunday bailing my apt. Over 200 gallons which came in from apts above me! Next one I'm gonna rip up a bilge pump! IMG_0407.JPG

12. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

No doubt Irma was bad.
    But there have been few deaths, and even the cost predictions are relatively low.

Was evacuation really a bad idea given the final result?

Harvey seems to have been much worse.

13. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Harvey was much worse, this hurricane was way overhyped and put people in a state of panic. I've still yet to see any major structural damage to a bldg anywhere.

Mobile parks and shanties are what the media is showing!!! I've driven down streets only to see later on tv, hyping damage with camera angle setup to look like total destruction when in reality it's just one tree

Really pathetic!

14. patzefran

patzefran patzefran

Say this to ST Martin people ! Easy to say after she passed, but difficult before to predict the evolution of a Hurricane.

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Nothing is small when you are the one hit.
    Not trying to slam anyone in the storm.
    It has just turned out to be less of an issue - who knows exactly why.

Agreed about the prediction.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.