What's in a name?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ancient kayaker, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I always accepted my dictionary's etymology of the word "kayak" as Inuit in origin, spelled qajaq in Inuktitut. The dictionary actually gives Eskimo (considered to be pejoritive by some) but it's an old book.

However, I recently noticed the similarity with the word caique "a long narrow skiff used on the Bosphorus" descended from the Turkish "kayik" by Italian and French descent. It has also been spelled qayiq, and there is a Greek word kaiki meaning much the same thing.

With apologies to the editors of the dictionary, surely that is pushing coincidence too far. I know the Turks and Greeks go back a ways and are a lot closer than either would care to admit but a connection with the Inuit and Aleuts?

Does anyone know the truth of the matter?

And no, before you ask, I will not change my pen-name to Ancient Kaiker.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

An intriguing thought, I would like to see the outcome....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.