Somali pirates

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by bntii, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You got it! LOL

-Tom

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If you try to conquer the pirates with weapons, you will simply raise the level of violence and the pirates win.

If you are a shipowner and heavily arm your ship.... and Im the pirate chief , I could instantly defeat your armed sailors by simply standing off a mile or two with a few skiffs , then without warning .....shoot fifty RPGs into your ship and destroy it. POOF...GONE.

Once destroyed, I would simply send you ,the owner, a short message...PLEASE DONT FIGHT BACK OR ARM YOUR SAILORS, play by the rules, pay the money or we will continue to waste your ships.

You can never beat the pirates with weapons.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

A couple of remarks.. RPGs effective range is quite limited.. you don't carry too many rounds in a skiff and you can always beat them if you have heavier artillery than they do..

Another matter.. about he Danish yacht
    http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/01/pirate-says-danish-hostages-will-be-killed-if-rescue-attempted/

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Well, that is a scary scenario... except that RPGs don't go a mile (maximum effective range maybe three hundred meters from a steady platform). Two of these, for example:
    Accuracy%20International%20AS50%20_50%20BMG%20Semi-Auto%20Rifle_1.jpg
    on pedestals (a second to trade off and let barrels cool) and sufficient ammo pre-loaded in magazines and one man, alone, can defeat Somalia on the ocean. I mean ALL of Somalia. There cannot be enough skiffs with AKs and RPGs for them to get within their range. One can start effectively dissuading them at two miles. If they up the ante and somehow acquire Western longer-effective-range technology, they would be defeating their purpose of taking hostages or cargo.

Oh, Teddy beat me to it!

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

That is so very sad.
    Normally I would hold to a "no ransom" stance but in this instance, I believe ransom should be paid and get these kids out of there.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The second you pay you have created the business !
    There is nothing to negotiate about, the military goes in, release those captured and leave a message - don't fcuk with any of us !
    Learn something from the Israelies.

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

Well, I agree, Fanie. But this, THIS, is beyond all. We need to get those kids out. Then... I am not a ***** here... THEN, I believe I would level Eyl. No survivors - Make it hot enough that even the currency used to pay ransom is destroyed. Women, children, dogs, great African traditions, all of it. There is no excuse for one of the world's oceans to be off-limits to travelers. This has to end NOW.

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Mr Michael from Spain. You're not from the Armada are you :D

I would rather go down in a slim chance of winning a fight than bloody go down with no fight at all.
    People have the right to defend themselves as much as the pirates have no right to attack any one in the first place !

LOL Mark,

Is that really YOU :D

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

I'm a little embarrassed to say "Yes". I believe that disproportionate response can be educational.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL. Sometimes any change is an improvement :D

With crime going rampid here I heard a few okes say if they touch my family I will do this or I'll do that... I just say to them why wait untill your family has been violated ? Do something NOW before it happens and save your family the experience. No one did anything so...

Sorry I want to add - Also seems ok if it is someone else's family... just as long as it isn't their own.

I guess it's easy to do things from a PC's point of view. It's something completely different to master the front door lock to get out there...

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

...and then blast 'em!

12. hoytedow

If you raise the level of violence enough the pirates lose. That is the level of violence you need, not any half-@$$ed effort that accomplishes nothing.

13. hoytedow

Let the eagle teach the rat where he stands in the food chain!

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I can picture some mass interdiction along the coast of Somalia eventually, something land based to root out the "investors" as well as bring back some hostages. It will have to start with some classic destruction but eventually given that this piracy things seems to be growing every day there's got to be some kind of effective action taken

15. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Nuke 'em.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.