Solo16 Sport Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Chris Ostlind, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

"...There are many multihulls afloat which do not have chance one of being self-righted by the crew, no matter their physical condition..."

So, are you saying this cannot be self-righted by the man and his daughter?

"...Rescue, if necessary, can be effected by means of cell phones.."

are you serious??

"...They plan to carry a serious survival bag..." ah yes you must be. Since a serious bag is so much better than a non-serious bag!

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Yes, I agree.

Many dozens of potential scenarios have been discussed with an appropriate course of action designed that will result in the desired outcome; to get back home safe and excited about going out again.

There comes a point in every creative effort, no matter what field of work it is in, that the designer simply must turn over the operation and the appreciation to the person who will possess the designed object. There is a world of unseen danger at every turn, of course, and it is impossible to plan for every event, every potential which may cross one's path.

Like you, A-Hoc, I am but a man. A man with all my beauty, as well as my warts. Thank you for your comments.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Amazing. And that is no assumption. I sure hope somebody gives "serious" thought to safety before this goes too far. Is the CB of the ama when the ama is 30% submerged ahead of the CG of the boat?

4. Chris Ostlind

Among other things, it may be a fact that they have to deal with, depending on the situation. Reading on, however, you will notice that many courses of action have been suggested. You may not like them, but the man with all the racing and crashing experience finds them more than satisfactory.

Actually Hoc, yes. Many rescues are conducted every year because a cell phone was used to call a person whom the troubled party knew and they, in turn called the appropriate rescue agency to direct them to the proper location.

I also listed Marine radios, personal locator beacons and even the use of an EPIRB as other important pieces of equipment to have aboard.

Yes, in fact it is also much better than a paper lunch bag, or a plastic dog droppings bag, or the tool bag that fell off the highest shelf in the garage, or the Felix the Cat Magic Bag of Tricks. All of these equally serious bags could be considered, if one is personally of the serious kind. Going out on a limb here, I'll take wack that you are a very serious guy.. right A-Hoc?

There must be a heavy current in this location, as we look to be experiencing some drift.

Perhaps you overlooked the request, but would you be so kind as to share some of your design work. I am most interested and I'm sure that the rest of the members are, as well.

Again, thanks for contributing.

5. Chris Ostlind

The conversations have been sufficiently serious.

Have you looked at the article, yet, Doug? Have you taken in the representation of the design as depicted in the illustrations? I should think that a gentleman with your vast knowledge would have long ago deduced that the boat is correctly configured. In fact, it shouldn't take but a brief few seconds of your time to bring it all together. Do take the time to make the proper observations.

Thanks for your input.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

I did read the article and I've seen other tri renderings you have done-just no complete boats to any of these renderings-some of which look real good.
    This question was not answered in your article and-I think-is important:
    Is the CB of the ama when the ama is 30% submerged ahead of the CG of the boat?

7. Chris Ostlind

Perhaps

_

8. Chris Ostlind

The subject of rig options for this boat was inadvertantly left out of the article and also the previous discussion on these pages. My apologies.

There is a fairly interesting array of possible used rigs that would work for this boat. Used masts in good condition from the following mast sections would nicely fit the potential... Proctor: D, Epsilon, and Cumulus. The boats that use these masts are: Albacore, 505 and the 470. There are a lot of older boats from these classes about with rigs that are still in very good condition, so the prices are very affordable. The mast from the Hobie 14 would also work for the Solo16 Sport.

Essentially, this is the same rig that is suggested for the Montage skiff/trimaran recently shown on these pages.

If the Solo16 Sport is going to be sailed for the purposes described in the posts above (with a disabled person aboard and both crew seated in the main hull) then I suggest that a main sail area of 100 sq. ft. be observed. If the owner of this boat is going to get out on the tramp either with, or without the crew, then a larger main can be hoisted.

For dual use applications, I'd go with the larger sail area as used by the 505 dinghy and have it modified with a couple of reef points. With this setup, you can sail very safely for a disabled crew application and still have the sail power to drive the boat in a lively fashion when sailed by a non-disabled crew.

An ideal setup would be to acquire at least the mast from a Hobie 14, have a new, square topped main built by Whirlwind sails in San Diego and ask them to build it with a couple of pairs of reef points so that the boat can be nicely dialed-in for the conditions and intended use. The H14 main sail area of 118 sq. ft. is a nice, happy medium point that will provide plenty of controllable power.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

I did some quick figuring and came up with a close estimate of the max RM for the 505 and Hobie 14:
    1) 505=2049 ft.lb.
    2) 14=2000 ft. lb.

Your boat, on the other hand, has enough flotation in the ama to fly the main hull which works out to 3867 ft. lbs. with two crew.
    I could be wrong but I don't think so: it appears to me that as the wind freshens the people sailing your boat are likely to have a rig failure if they use the recommended rigs, is that correct?

10. Chris Ostlind

Nope.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

What changes would you have the customer make to prevent rig breakage?

12. Chris Ostlind

Having been patient and courteous to you in all my posts on this thread, Doug, I'm sorry to share with you that I've now grown weary of responding to your queries.

I can assure you that all of your concerns have been addressed, no matter the purpose of their positioning.

Thank you for your posts to this point.

13. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

Chris

I like the concept of a camper-tri, If you take the seats out is there enough room to lay down in the cockpit? (sleep?). If so, there is the possibility of an aftermarket boom mounted tent kit as an option. It would be great for weekend retreats. Whats the proposed all up weight? Are the ama's to be foldable/retractable for trailoring?

Thanks, keep the idea's coming.

14. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Doug Lord

When statements like:
    "If the Solo16 Sport.... If the owner of this boat... I'd go with the larger sail area...An ideal setup would be ..."

Clearly the "if" statements and "an ideal.." demonstrates that no numbers have been crunched. Since once the numbers have been crunched, there is no longer the "if" qualifier, but clear and concise statements.

As for keeping the great ideas coming and don't be 'negative'...etc

Oh ok...well, let me see,...i have an idea to fly from London to Sydney in 10mins...great idea huh?...shall i draw a pretty picture of a design that will look great as one goes from London to Sydney in 10mins?

Oh,... just don't ask any questions about it, just look at the pretty picture. Asking questions will make the design look less pretty, we don't want that, do we?

15. Chris Ostlind

I'm sorry... your real name is what, exactly?

The rest of the post was garbled. If you will be so kind as to post your actual name, perhaps there is a sincere communication into which we can enter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.