SolidWorks

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nomad, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Does anyone esle in here use it??

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Hi, i'm starting to use solidworks and has been a great help for speed up modifications to a model but not the fastest way yet for me to model in 3d, solidworks has all the tools, and the parametric features, wich are great, but still its tricky to speed up the 3d modelling itself, i like solidworks and i will keep working with it i found the interface very easy to use and understand, for me it's one of those software that i just played with it for a while and i was already creating simple models on it.

3. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

4. danlieb

danlieb New Member

Hi,
    i am using Solid and it's great !
    If you need any help let me know

5. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

I have been using SolidWorks for three years. I find it very usefull for structural arrangements, because changes to geometry is so easy-and for developing components. I would not attempt to fair the lines in SolidWorks, for that a dedicated lines fairing program like Maxsurf is the way to go. SolidWorks,Rhino,and Maxsurf make a very complete suite of software, and import/export very easily among one another.

6. danlieb

danlieb New Member

I am using MultiSurf for the line fairing, import the model to solid and use MicroStation for the final 2d drawings.
    By the way, do you know how the re define a context of a part in an assembly in SolidWorks ?
    When copy and asembly, even with the refference option - that is with all it's sub assemblies, I somtimes get the annoying message telling me that:
    "This part has a feature defined in the context of onother assembly...you can not add any external refference to it..."
    Dan

7. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

One thing to consider before creating a part "in-context of an assembly" is that in context parts are best used for one of a kind parts, not parts that will be used in other assemblies. If you want to use an in context part in another assembly, Open the part in question and use, save as copy, give the part a new name and remove the external reference. I think.

8. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Solidworks to Maxsurf

Hi there,

I did use SW to create the hull, deck and other components. It is a great help to make calculations as weight, surface, volume, and cost to create the hull and deck(parts).

Now I got Maxsurf Pro 8.5 not knowing how to work with that program I imported the SW file in IGES format into Maxsurf. But I get a lot of unwanted lines and rectangles.

Any clues?

Greetings,

Daniel Peeters

9. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Daniel

Suggest you upgrade your Maxsurf to the latest version (V 10.0). Older versions correctly read IGES NURBS with uniform knot vectors, but sometimes fail on NURBS surfaces with non-uniform knot vectors that have unusual scalings.

10. Danielsan

THX for the info, I did not read manual yet, but does maxsurf calculate LWL based upon my hull type, material?

Greetings

Daniel Peeters

11. Andrew Mason

Maxsurf will do full upright hydrostatics at any waterline, if you wish to do large angle stability, tanks, compartments, damage, stability criteria etc. etc. you will need Hydromax as well. A Hydromax demo is downloadable from our web site.

12. Danielsan

That was a verry quick reply!

I am only a recreational builder it's, will be my first one. I did use the program comming from someone that uses it, I got the key thing with it but now he is back from vacation and I had to return it. So now I don't have it anymore or at least not working on my PC.

Don't you have a stripped down version of your ver MaxSurf 10.0?

Greetings,

Daniel Peeters

13. Andrew Mason

Daniel

We do lower cost versions with fewer surfaces, alternatively if you qualify as a student you can get a free 3 surface version from our academic web site.

Andrew

14. Danielsan

THX,
    I will have a look at it.
    Just a last question, can I import my SW iges into SurfMax student version?

Greetz,

Daniel Peeters

15. Andrew Mason

Daniel

Maxsurf Academic, like the other versions of Maxsurf, imports IGES NURBS surfaces only (entities 128 and 144). Other entities suchas lines, curves, meshes etc. are ignored.

Andrew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.