1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

SolidStateRacing introduces Ultra-High power LED lighting modules for Marine

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by William James, May 11, 2004.

1. William James

William James New Member

Fellow Boaters,
    It’s never a nice feeling watching the voltmeter slowly decaying as you are moored or at anchor for the evening! And LEDs are obviously very attractive from their low current draw and very long life.
    IN the last 6 months however there have been significant advances in LED lighting technology which now make LED lighting a much more suitable proposition for marine applications whether for interior, navigation or accent lighting.
    [​IMG]

3 significant factors are:
    1) Actual light output - LEDs can now produce usable amounts of light so see with, not just signal or indication.
    2) Control Circuitry - rather than just wasting all the energy you could have potentially saved by using LEDs because the are all low voltage devices and you have to drop (waste) the voltage from your 12V battery there are now modules developed with highly efficient power control so you can get the power saving benefts LEDs always promised.
    3) Water Ingress - Boats are not a friendly environment for electronics at the best of times. Corrosion from a fundamentally damp environment is a problem. And any normal industrial LED light module WILL NOT COPE with marine applications. And if you have to continually replace your LED modules, the promise of Long LED emitter life is again lost......

SolidStateRacing has solved all of these problems through a combination of the latest illumination technology, sophisticated power circuitry and advanced electronic encapsulation materials to manufacture an ultra-high power LED module suitable for the harshest environments, especially Marine.
    [​IMG]

More information is available from www.solidstateracing.com and the patented LED lighting modules can be found on the product area of the website. There is a full datasheet and application guide supported to make installation and wiring a breeze.

I am happy to bring you this good news, and I hope to see other boaters out there burning brighter and longer as a result!

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    William.

[​IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are they USCG approved for nav lights?

3. William James

William James New Member

Using SolidStateRacing LED modules as bulb replacement in Navigation lights

The LED modules are a replacement for the incandescant light bulb itself. The overmolding of the SolidStateRacing module is to keep the driver electronics protected and also to providing a mounting/location for the LED light source.

My understanding is that the US Coast Guard would approve the whole light assembly casing, refelector etc., not just the incandescant bulb inside or the equivalent LED module inside?

I am sure that it is possible to replace the incandescant bulb part inside a normal Navigation light assembly or casing with one each of the red and green Solid State Racing LED light modules, but I am not sure how this would affect the USCG approval. If at all? After all, it's only like changing the bulb for a different one?
    However, I have to admit that I am not sure. If anyone out there knows I would love to hear. In the mean time I have only used the modules for interior and accent lighting so it's something I didn't have to consider. Sorry!

I hope this helps (a little!),
    Will.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.