The best of the maritime tales...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, May 3, 2006.

1. hansp77

hansp77

I thought I would try to start a thread here with two purposes.
    As an an avid reader, and lover of hearing other peoples real experiences:

1. What are peoples favourite and or most recomended books about sailing, boating or shipping, preferably (but not only) non-fiction true tales (ie. not purely technical or dry- ie. you pick it up and cannot put it down- while hopefully also being educational).

2. What are peoples own most interesting, bizare, scary, near death, near life, amazing, miraculous(!), funny, stupid, embarressing, impossible etc, etc, tales. These can be your own experiences, or maybe the retelling of someone elses tale that particularly deserves it.

As I am sure there are more than just a few room-stopping, jaw-dropping, knuckle-gripping or wet-yourself-laughing stories among the members of this forum, I eagerly await what people may care to share, plus also their experinced opinions on some of those read-before-you-die-books (or alternatively read-before-you-circumnavigate-or-something-books).

Hans.

2. hansp77

hansp77

Ok, Maybe I have to kick-start this off a little bit,
    Remember Guys (and Girls) this is not a 'pissing contest'
    also remember, I am asking for stories and tales,
    not professing to be able to provide them.

As far as real stories of experience go, I am simply too amature and inexperinece to have anything worth telling yet.

I am a sucker for the old classics (and cliche's). (and will mostly have to go against my own preference here- non-fiction)
    I would have to say one of my all time favourite novels is Hemingways 'Old Man and the Sea.'
    Conrads 'Heart of Darkness' also,

Non-fiction, I read a fantastic book a few years ago that for the life of me I cannot remember the name. It was about the first (I think the first) single-handed and unaided yacht race around the world in the 60's. It followed the stories of all the individual 13 or so sailors, and their experiences, involving the French guy rounding Cape Horn and giving up his lead and his nations aspirations to contiue sailing round the world instead of head up north to England and the finish line. It involved another guy ('Craven' I think?) who took off hours before the last possible start date, in an unfinished 'high tech cat' full of unconnected wires and useless computer equipment, which developed leaks and strucutral flaws soon after, which convinced him that even though he had staked his life and family savings on this race there was no way he could possibly complete it. So he set out to create a fake log book, with fake entries and relayed fake radio communications and positions, and waited off the east coast of South America for the rest of the guys to round Cape Horn so he could take off close to the front to score a respectible position. Whne he (un)lucked into first place and realised that his fake log would be discovered he proceeded to go absolotly Bonkers, as recorded in his journals, and as they think, unscrewed and held one of his solid brass instruments, and stepped over the edge. (the idea being that by the time you can't hold it anymore....)
    at least someone may begin by reminding me what the name of this book is, As I am sure it has been recognised..

Finally, I just read a short story by Dougal Robertson, 'Survive the Savage Sea' where on a round the world cruise in his 43ft timber schooner 'Lucette' with most of his family, and a student crew member, their hull was multiply holed by the simultaneous strike of three killer whales. Sinking one minute later west of the Galapogas Islands, the story is about their ensuing battle for survival as the six people jury rigged their 9ft fiberglass dingy tied to their inflatable liferaft and attempted to sail north into the Doldrums to hit a current that would take them east to Costa Rica or Panama. Lots of raw fish, turtle, and fresh glasses of turtle blood, yum.

Here is a lovely image from the cover of one of my old hard-cover copies of old man and the sea.

Hans.

Attached Files:

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hans

I really must get into this - a request for a few dits, and blow me if I can't think of any, off hand! I'll be back with some tales of dering do soon tho' And a plea to the other bucko's out there! Come on fella's here's a guy who actually wants a few tall stories such as the numpty (tanned horse) tried frightening away! stand up for yourselves :D :cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

poor walrus ,,,,,hes got C, R, S,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cant remember shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

OK heres mine,,,,, we went 12 hrs out of destin fla , to about 50 miles out to make a grouper run on our longline boat ,,,the broadbill.a 31 jc hull ,winds started blowing out the west , not good in the gulf of mexico, a hurricane was breathing in, winds reached 110 steady gusting to 160 ,water was pressing in around the seems of the front windshilds , you coulnt see nothing ,the waves were horrendus ,the boat would come off a 30 footer and crash land mid piont in the next I saw the hull flex ,we couldnt sleep .eat or relaxe .all the cans of food were rolling around the cabin floor with the lables washed off . tools were put away so they wouldent hit anyone, what a beating, everything was wet. 44hrs at the wheel to get to safe harber at baratarra pass in louisianna,the wind still blowing so hard you couldnt see out the cabin,when we got to leeville louisianna the coonass people asked us if we seen any survivers ,,,,,I said what are you talking about? they told me a cherimyboat truck from the oil fields had rolled over and caught fire in the pass,,,,200 men dead we saw nothing ,,heard nothing,,,but felt and still feel bad about it .this was hurricane juan........I would rather fight mike tyson than go through that again

6. StianM

StianM Senior Member

I was so sick.

My second trip as a motorman working on a Norwgian tug/supply/standby vessel. Ship is 1600metric tonn and 65m long. waves is 16m.
    Our Chief engeneer is 50+ and seasick for the first time in 30 years and the gas from our **** tank is comming up the toilet pipes because that hapend on this boat for some reason when we have bad weather.
    It's only my second trip so I'm soo bloody seasick. I have to drop my pants to allow my a-hole to suck air in as everything off food and drink is coming out the other end. A momory I could do perfectly without.

Tell some hocker story's when my gf is not looking over my shoulder

7. hansp77

hansp77

Thanks Longliner and StianM, (and walrus, I am sure there is something big brewing up in you)
    this is what I am talking about.

Longliner that sounds horrific!
    were there any survivors from that cherimyboat truck, and what exactly is that?

StianM, if you have pain remembering that, then take comfort that we shall all share the image of your bum breathing too.

Thanxs guys,
    Kepp em coming.
    Hans.

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

The best of maritime tales

Hey, Hansp77 -
    Essential reading: 'Sailing alone around the world'- Joshua Slocum; and 'Incredible voyage'- Tristram Jones. No blue water would-be should be without a copy in his/her locker.
    And hi all the old faces - just passing through.

1 person likes this.
  9. hansp77

hansp77

Thanks Bergalia,
    duly noted.
    They are now on my shopping list.
    Hans.

10. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I know a retired merchant sailor from Germany. Because of the things he told me, I'm now afraid of boxed Bananas, and I have a permanent aversion to brown sugar. Are you sure you want people to share these tales?

1 person likes this.
  11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Don't pass, stay.
    Those are really great books. The Joshua Slocum book, makes me feel small:p

12. safewalrus

Bergalia old friend

Tis great to see your battered old mug again, so to speak. Stay a while and tell us a few dits of derring do on the high seas (or even the bars of Peterhead, I remember them well).

Here's a wee gem, was mate on a supply vessel working the Piper Alpha as a spare deck! divers were attaching anodes (or were it her sister cathode, no matter twas big bits of metal) on to the legs to prevent 'em corroding away, that was a waste of time as some may tell; but that's another story!

These anodes were all stowed in half height containers on deck, the idea being that the divers asked for specific anodes, we sorted them out and ran into the platform. The crane swung out and lifted the required bit, swung it out and we got out of the way. The 'ode was lowered into the water and the divers attached it to the leg of the platform. Easy! but they were pretty heavy so some bright spark decides to give us a forklift truck - useful but read on! Some days later we were due a partial crew change and load some store (fuel, food water etc), so ran into Peterhead loaded and changed part of the crew, New skipper onboard (the infamous "Jackanory") and out we runs with the weather coming up to a full nine, interesting kinda day! Pitching and rolling about a bit (OK a LOT). Well forklifts are not designed to be used on the decks of smallish supplyboats, so this beast of several tons was chained down with half inch chain (12mm for the metrics). decided it wanted to go walkabout! snaps the chains like carrots and trundles up and down the deck smashing hell out of all it sees! first thing I know the cabin door comes of its hinges to behold a distraut second mate "quick the skipper wants you on the bridge!" he wails. So I jumps, well more falls, out of me bunk grabs a pair of trousers and staggers up to the wheelhouse! Jackanory is going berserk! jumping up and down shouting at the deckcrew over the tannoy - "get that ********* forklift secure" You know the style! He turns to me and sez Mr. Mate (formal see, normally it's Mike) get out there and put some backbone in those cowards out there!" I looks down and sees these guys running about the deck being chased by this crazy forklift!!!" [thinks I 'he's f**** crazy') " OK Cap'n I'm onto it!". So down I go into my oilskins etc and out on deck, behind the crash barrier and I calls the crew over to be safe inside the barrier - not out on that crazy deck with stuff rolling everywhere! So what Is we going to do? I looks at it and thinks this bloody thing is slowly working it's way aft! Right, send one of the lads down the stern to release the safety wire at the stern by the roller? what will this do you see them all thinking! Jackanory still jumping up and down! So what next, looks at the lads and sez "fella's you look as if your all in , go and get a cup of coffee before the next phase". "But, but ....." "shut up I'm the Mate I give the orders" "OK" and away they go. I stays and watches, meanwhile this forklift is slowly working it's way aft, crash crash crash! Just as the lads come back out on deck it reaches the stern roller and with a final wave it disappears over the backend and into the briney. So Bergailia if you ever 'came fast' some two thirds of the way between the Piper and Peterhead its probably that forklift truck! and as I reported to the skipper - "job done, no problems on the aft deck with the fork lift - what forklift" "Mmmm" THAT'S SEAMANSHIP that is! More where this comes from!

1 person likes this.
  13. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I enjoy good story tales and some of the best are old ones.
    Take a look at this Dutch one:

"Before the founding of the VOC in 1602 several expeditions were set out from the Netherlands to the east, by various routes. In 1598 Pieter van den Hagen and Johan van der Veken sent out an expedition, consisting of 5 ships and 494 men that was to reach the east by way of the Straits of Magalhaes.
    The ships ...were: the HOOP. the GELOOF the TROUW (Faith), captain Van Boekhoutand the BLIJDE BOODSCHAP.
    At the Straits of Magalhaes, the winds were adverse, and remained that way for four months. Although there was enough food, the fierce climate still took another 120 lives, while the Patagonians were hostile too.
    Finally, in September 1599, the Pacific was reached. The troubles were not over though, and the ships were trapped in a storm. The ships were separated, only the GELOOF and the TROUW remained together, but they were swept back into the Straits, and lost sight as well.
    The TROUW did manage to beat through the Straits, and landed on Chiloe, an island on the Chilean coast. On request of the local population the Dutchmen took a Spanish fortress. The Spanish were locked into the church, and the Dutch plundered the fortress. However, when the Chileans came and started to kill the Spanish, captain Balthasar de Cordes (Van Boekhout had died in Patagonia) protected the Spanish, the Spanish got back their arms, and the Dutch vacated the fortress. The Spanish took their revenge on the Chileans.
    The Dutch went for the fortress a second time, and again succeeded in capturing it. The Spanish soldiers fled, the governor and other inhabitants surrendered in exchange for their lives, but most were treacherously killed by the Dutch. The Dutch plundered the place and caused destruction. However, when additional Spanish forces arrived, the Dutch were beaten, and many were killed. The Dutch captured a Spanish ship near Truxillo, and somehow managed to cross the Ocean to Ternate. On Tidore almost all men were killed by the Portuguese, those that managed to escape were captured and taken to Goa.
    The BLIJDE BOODSCHAP, better known as VLIEGEND HART (Flying heart) was so short on supplies that they entered the Spanish harbour of Valparaiso, Chile, in November 1599, where they were captured by the Spanish, and whom also killed the ship's captain, Dirck Gherritsz. (According to a 1622 Spanish account, the ship was carried to 64 degrees south, and discovered a mountainous, ice-covered land that resembled Norway. If the story is accurate, then the Dutch were the real discoverers of Antarctica). It took a long time for some of them to return home, the last was captain Dirck Gerritsz, who had visited China and Japan in Portuguese service in the 1580's. He was freed in a prison exchange in 1604.
    Both the HOOP and the LIEFDE met hostile Indians, who probably thought they were Spaniards, and lost their captains and a large number of men. After the ships met again, the new captains, Jacob Jansz. Quackernaeck and Huydekooper decided to try to reach Japan. The HOOP was lost in a storm. Quackernaeck's LIEFDE managed to reach Kyushu where they drifted ashore, only six of the remaining 24 men were able to walk.

William Adams, an Englishman, was among the crew members who reached Japan. He was sent to shogun Iyeyasu, who soon became very fond of him. He managed to get freedom for his fellow crew members (a Portuguese interpreter had spread the rumour that they were pirates). Adams remained in Japan for the rest of his life, becoming important and wealthy as a shipbuilder, math teacher and tradesman. Quackernaeck himself reached the Dutch trade settlement in Patani in 1605, carrying an invitation of the shogun for the Dutch to trade in his country. The next year he was killed in a fight against the Portuguese."
    http://www.vocshipwrecks.nl/out_voyages/postiljon.html

14. safewalrus

And to finish off Vega's story, a very sucessful book was written by a chap called James Clavell; called 'Shogun'. Whilst fiction, it was based on fact - the William Adams of Vega's story. It also was made into a very good TV series and film in the early eighties (I know of at least one copy of the book [which was a very big one] which was blown across half of the East Falkland during that small war, by a land mine over which the half track carrying it drove - not what you'd call good war equipment, but the guy who had borrowed it didn't want to loose it! whoops!)

I would strongly reccomend it to anyone interested in either history, adventure, ships or just plain bloodthirsty!

Incidentally the replica 'Golden Hind' starred as the Dutch vessel in the TV series and whilst you don't get many Sea parts they are very well done, also a good watch should you get the chance - I'm keeping my copy all thirteen hours of it!

15. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

"Godforsaken Sea" by Derek Lundy is one of my recent read favorites. :)

I am reading a book right now called "North to the Night" by Alvah Simon. I'm about halfway through and it's pretty darn good. :)