solid Iroko cabin trunk

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by John Dickie, May 14, 2020.

1. John Dickie

John Dickie Junior Member

20220828_074633.jpg 20220828_075150.jpg
    Thanks Fallguy, will do.
    20220828_074352.jpg
    The rudder is a single piece of Iroko,as are the trunk sides,coaming,cockpit sides.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

May I ask whether the rudder is glassed? I am just a little surprised at an Iroko rudder. Don't take me the wrong way. My brother had a wooden rudder on a much smaller boat and it worked for awhile, but eventually had to be sheathed in glass and epoxy. Maybe that part is a no brainer for you or maybe I am grasping at straws for a way to contribute to the lovely vessel you are building is all.

At any rate; the boat really has gorgeous lines and I wish I could see it up close.

My brother's rudder cup warped, by the way..and it broke on the grains..perpendicular to the cupping. Perhaps you are also vertical grained and less likely to encounter same..after his broke; we bonded and glassed it back together and the cup was mosty defeated thus

3. John Dickie

John Dickie Junior Member

It was a large stable flatsawn plank that had hardly cupped on drying.I decided not to glass as I figured the glass would not stop that piece from swelling and something would give.It has large straps on the pintles which should help keep it from cupping too much,and a small amount of cupping could be dealt with.I know I'm taking a chance and if it fails,then maybe laminate one from vertical grain boards or weld one up.I just love these big timbers and it seems sacrilege to cut them up,and I've done that too many times.
    IMG_20200818_150645[11510].jpg 20220828_154528.jpg
    This is a detail of the coaming I quite like-it was a 4" block,cut and stacked on top of each other.The deck is taking a beating,not helped by a family of barn owls living in the fabric "ceiling"(because of the heat in summer) just above the fore deck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.