Sole ( deck ) and stringers replacement HELP

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bermack, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Bermack

Bermack New Member

just got a 20' open bow Charger, with I/O engine. As I was cleaning it up (was previously sitting outside) I noticed soft decking under the captains chair as well as one other place on the same side of the boat. I removed the carpet to find a layer of fiberglass (now I understand that is the way boats are made) and so I started cutting and removed the layer of fiberglass on the starboard side of the boat all the way back to the motor. The wood was like powder. I literally just took my hands and was able to get 90% of the wood out. the remaining 10% I used a paint scraper.

I did a ton of reading on this forum yesterday and that is when I realized that the deck was not sitting on fibergass (part of the hull) , but rather a layer of fiberglass over wooden 2 x 4's. So guess what else was rotten... (the 2 x 4's)My question is about the structural element the 2 x 4's provide. Are these there simply to support the deck, or are they an integrated stuctural component of the hull?

This boat is my first powerboat and I have been doing minor boatwork for years with my father. This engine is perfect, but now I am at a cross roads, do I spend a ton of time and money to remove the foam, and rotten stringers in the entire boat and replace, or do I go cheap, remake the decking, and if I end up keeping the boat redo it in a few years?

Of course doing it right the first time is the way to go, but there is the money thing as well.

I really enjoyed reading the posts yesterday and your help is greatly appreciated.

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

Go ahead and do it right

I'm in a similar predicament. I've got a 1983 Wellcraft CC 18 "Fisherman" project and when I got it I thought I'd just do what I had to and put it in the water. But the more I looked at it, inspected all the nooks and crannys, and considered what I wanted to have, I decided to do a complete restoration. I'm tearing out the transom at this point and I'll be replacing the stringers and sole next. Then I look forward to the fun work of putting all the pretty stuff on it and doing the finish work.
    It's taking much longer than I figured on, but once it's done it will be stronger than it was coming out of the factory and better sealed as well. Be sure to use epoxy instead of polyester resin and your boat will last forever.

And most likely the stringers on your boat are structural.