SOLAS 2009 Lifeboat capacity

Discussion in 'Stability' started by ShinySides, May 4, 2014.

1. ShinySides

ShinySides Junior Member

I am trying to carry out a SOLAS 2009 damage stability analysis for a university project. The vessel will carry 4005 Pax and 1722 Crew. However we actually have enough lifeboats for 7400 crew. The regulations ask for Lifeboat capacity N_1 and Max number of persons in excess of N_1: N_2.

I'm not sure which values to use where...

2. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

The fact that your project is stability analysis doesn't make this (non-stability) question something that should be in the stability sub forum.

I think it probably should be somewhere else.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

If I remember correctly, for I am speaking from memory, the number of lifeboats plus liferafts on each side should be sufficient to evacuate all persons on board.

4. ShinySides

ShinySides Junior Member

Ahhh. I did read something about new larger cruise ships being able to evacuate all people on board from one side but didn't realise this was a requirement. I need to look into this. Thanks!

5. ShinySides

ShinySides Junior Member

It is a parameter in the damage stability calculations so Im not sure where else to ask.

6. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

I couldn't find the actual regulation in SOLAS, but I believe, based on the description of N2, that is the number of persons carried aboard the vessel for whom NO space is provided in the lifeboats, spare people if you will. I think a reasonable approach would be to assume that:

N1 = the number of crew + the number of passengers
    and
    N2 = 0

that way, everyone has a space aboard a lifeboat (no references to the TITANIC, please).

There may even be some subsequent interpretations issued by IMO regarding this point. It would take some digging, but I would try the imo.org website.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Maybe this helps somewhat.
    N2 is the number of persons the ship is permited to carry in excess of N1. Could be >0
    That is, the boat must have express permission to carry this extra number of people.

Attached Files:

8. ShinySides

ShinySides Junior Member

Yes this makes sense, you are right. Do floating doors count? ;)

I was originally trying to take into account the extra unused lifeboat seats but this seems to increase the required index so is not correct. Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate it.

9. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Also consider than N (i.e. N_1 and N_2) are a function that drives R, the required sub-division index.

For a ship built prior to MSC 216, R should have been :R = 1-(1000/(4Ls+N+1500)); where Ls is the subdivision length in meters, and N = boat places+2*excess personnel. So a minimum R would be 0.33 and a maximum would be something just less than 1.0, but never 1.0 or over. Ships built to the current requirement R= 1-(5000/(Ls+2.5N+15225)) So again the minimum R would be 0.32 and the maximum just less than 1.0. What the new rules do however is put more emphasis on people and less on subdivision length.

10. nettersheim

nettersheim Consultant

Sorry to come late on the discussion, but it is important to keep in mind that :

1) the subdivision of the vessel will be clearly related to the required index R and therefore to the parameters N = N1 + 2. N2

2) there will be a rather significant difference in the computed value of R when you consider the type of the vessel

=> ferry or cruise vessel
    => cruise will have high N1 and little N2
    => ferry (in general, as an example short international journey) will have high N2 and quite little N1
    => with above assumptions : ferry R > cruise R

3) in the end the attained subdivision index A will have to be > to the required subdivision index R ( vessel is Solas rules compliant if A > R ) !

François-Xavier

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.