Solarpower boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fcc, Apr 11, 2008.

1. fcc

fcc New Member

I am entering a solar boat competition, and i am required to use only the following materials:
    -4 x 12% efficiency solar panels,
    -block of foam (for hull)
    -radio control
    -an electric engine with switches
    -a propeller shaft and propeller,
    -acrylic plastic

http://www.solarchallenge.com.au/

any advice concerning the design or production of this boat would be appreciated.

2. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I had a play with solar boar designs back in 1997, however they are probably bigger than what you are looking at. See:

http://www.cyberiad.net/library/multihulls/solar1/solar.htm

Factoid: The winner of the inaugural solar boat race in Canberra was a cat funded and piloted by Bob Clifford of Incat fame. I think he spent well over $100K on the boat.

Good luck!
    Leo.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Make an initial estimate of the weight and power output from the solar cells. Most important thing is weight and power output of the cells.

A long slender hull will work best. It can be stabilised with outriggers.

If you do the above estimates I will take you through the design process that should get close to the optimum result.

Making the ideal prop will take a little skill but not too difficult.

Rick W.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.