That was Easy....Not!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by flydog, Mar 1, 2007.

1. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Made and fitted the breasthook. Not an easy job. Just glad I had my Dad's very old and high quality block plane. The quarter knees are next. Fitting the gunwales will probably be as hard. Just taking it one piece at a time!

flydog

Attached Files:

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Did you have to scrap any lumber, or did it work out the first time?

Such a piece would be a definete challenge.

TGoz

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Looks like a good job so far Flydog. You have notched the breasthook to recieve the inwales and that too is a tricky bit of work. I presume that the quarter knees will be similarly notched.

When fitting the inwales you can kind of sneak up on the correct length as follows. Cut the inwale stick too long, a few inches or a foot or two, doesn't matter. Fit the front of the stick, with those nifty bevels,to the breasthook then bend it in to the the final location somewhere around amidships. Clamp it temporarily, the aft end will be sticking out over the transom or quarter knee. Make a mark on the sheer at the midship location, make a matching mark on the stick. Unclamp it, fit it to the aft end at the quarter knee. Pull it in and clamp it as before. Make another mark on the inwale stick that matches the mark on the sheer. The distance between the two marks, on the stick, is the amount you'll have to cut off one end or the other. All that careful beveling can be made easier with the use of a Japanese pull saw. You can get by without the pricy Japanese thing by using a Zona saw available at good hobby shops. Both types of saw have very thin blades and no kerf. Indispensible tools when you get to the picky stuff. Do not be beguiled into thinking that the port and starboard inwales will be the same length. Short of a miracle they'll be different.

Keep up the good work.

1 person likes this.
  4. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Thanks guys,

Believe it or not that was my first attempt at a breasthook. Even though it appears to be one piece, it has spacer blocks between the planking and the hook. I just followed instructions and went very slowly removing gossamer-thin wood shavings with my plane. It took better than half a day to fit it in.

Thanks for the procedural advice Messabouts, I need plenty of help.

flydog

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Check your private messages please

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.