Solar Powered Boat Hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by RochesterSS, Feb 22, 2011.

1. RochesterSS

RochesterSS Junior Member

I've called some people about corecell and I'm sold on the material as a core. But now I need to figure out the ratio of fiberglass to corecell m-foam.

Here's what I think you guys should know. We are looking to make an inboard motor system, estimated speeds are about 25-30 mph at top speed and it is a long slender boat. The design is about 3 feet wide and 17 feet long. The load in the boat will be a 150 lb person, 50 lbs of solar panels and probably 50-100 lbs of engine/electrical components.

Our goal is to maximize strength to weight so obviously we want more corecell than fiberglass. Based on the method Herman suggested, how many layers of fiberglass/which fiberglass would you suggest?

Thanks again,
    Jamie

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

You should get a couple of books. The first is "Marine Composites" by Eric Greene. You can get it as a free download from his website: http://www.ericgreeneassociates.com/images/MARINE_COMPOSITES.pdf.

Also, you should get "Fiberglas Boat Design and Construction" by Robert J. Scott. This is pretty out of date as far as material specifications is concerned (only mat and woven roving laminates), but the engineering principles are OK. Finally, you can get a copy of "Elements of Boat Strength" by Dave Gerr, which also gives some simple basics of composite engineering.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.