Solar Power

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Erich149, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Erich149

Erich149 New Member

Hey, I'm new to the forums but I was looking to get some information on the feasibility of installing solar panels as an auxiliary power output on my 1985 Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40 for when wind speeds are low. I currently have a Perkins 37 Hp with a 3 Blade Gori Folding Prop and need to know if it is compatible to be rigged up with solar panels to generate the power I need. Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

To power your boat straight from solar panels requires removal of the mast and all the rigging so the panels can face the sun without any interruption from shadows.
    And with panels from bow to stern you can generate approx. 25% of the propulsion power from your Perkins diesel.

I guess that is not what you had in mind.

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

google planet solar that will show you what you want ...only 1/3 the way around the world and has had new motor/gearbox and some of the batteries have failed....but they are millionares they can afford it......oh i chipped my tooth ..must fly to switzerland for a repair ......

just start the diesel and forget it ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.