Shock and Vibration data for Power (Sail?) boats ??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TerryKing, Nov 28, 2007.

1. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Hi, I'm working on a project to prototype an Onboard Computer System (see http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showpost.php?p=169204&postcount=81 and spin-off threads for details).

Does anyone have data on Shock and Vibration levels found on various boats?

I'm looking to understand requirements for Hard Drives, and other components.

As I understand it, "Shock" is a hard single event of short duration. Like 100G's for 2 Milliseconds.

As I understand it, "Vibration" is repetitive, from about 5 Hz to several hundred Hz, and typically less force, such as .5G for what we would think was "Heavy Vibration" if it was at 40 Hz or so from a 2500 RPM Prop.

If you can help with this information, or suggest pointers to sources, or comment, please chime in.

A chime, of course, would be something like .1G at 440Hz on a suspended piece of pipe :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.