merc 3.0 conventional ignition - no spark

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by smitty, Jun 8, 2006.

1. smitty

smitty New Member

I've got no spark from ignition coil. Boat was working last week. I gave the boat a tune up 3 weeks ago and replaced all ignition components - points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. I checked the voltage at the coil and only get 7.5 Volts. When I disconnect and read the purple wire from the + side of coil I get 12V. What started this was my temp gauge would barely get above 120 degrees. I tested the thermostat, temp sensor, and gauge, all of which seem to work correctly. Then I tested the tan signal wire at the sending unit and was only getting 9.5V. Figuring I should be seeing 12V at the sending unit I started looking for where I could be dropping part of the 12V and think I must have done something to screw up the ignition. I'm not terribly familiar with conventional ignition systems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Run a jumper wire from the battery to the + on the coil. If that solves the problem, there is a bad or corroded connection somewhere.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.