homemade pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jamesweaver86, May 6, 2012.

1. jamesweaver86

jamesweaver86 New Member

hello,
    i am looking to build a homemade pontoon boat. i plain on using 55 gal drums. i have a figare of six per side that would support 3370.77 lbs. Know my frist question is is that per side that it hold per pontoon. I am also want it to be 16'x10' ft deck area. would that be enought to support the weight.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You should have enough enclosed flotation so that the barrels are half-submerged. Gallons weigh about 8 lbs so barrels weigh 55 x 8 = 440 x 12 = 5280 lbs.
    Your target average displacement should be about half of that, 2640 lbs.
    If you figure the weight of people and stores, equipment, etc., to be about 600 lbs, the balance should a bit over 2000 lbs including motor. If, for example, your ideal outboard would weigh 250, then your target boat weight should be about 1800 lbs..

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Strongly recommend you only load those pontoons to 40%.

You may not think that 10% would not make much difference and it may be hard to convince you but I can assure you, 40% is what you want your maximium loading to be.

Oh, and when you do your loading addition, don't forget to include EVERYTHING on board including, fuel, water, pontoons, docklines, coffee cups, toilet paper, tweezers, dental floss, condoms, loose change, wall hangings, I think you get the idea... EVERYTHING.

Good luck, have fun and stay upright and afloat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.