Freeship plywood panels

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deering, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I'm just getting familiar with Freeship - nice package.

My goal is to design a chine hull for pywood construction. Once the hull development is complete, how do I create a cutting pattern or offsets for cutting out of flat sheet stock? Is Freeship the right tool to do that step, or do I need to export to another software package?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Deering,

Freeship seems to be a great program for creating chined hulls and developing the plates. Martijn is to be congradulated.

In the "tools" menu find "develop plates", this opens a new window with your unrolled surfaces. From this you can plot, export, zoom, etcetera.

A couple of things to do before hand:

Make sure each plate, (i.e. centerline to chine, or chine to sheer) is in a separate layer, then when unrolled they will be separate plates.

And make sure “developable” is turned on for each layer in the layer properties

Good luck, Tad

3. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Perfect! That was just what I needed! Thank you!

I hadn't turned on the developable switch in layers so wasn't seeing the plate option in the menu. Now I just have to figure out how to put separate plates on separate layers...

Thanks again!

4. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Getting each surface in it's own layer after drawing should be possible? Perhaps by selecting all edges? Don't know and I haven't been able to do it yet.

The way I found to do it is just make one surface (bottom) in the first layer. Then turn on the next layer and extrude the upper edge of the first plate to make the next surface or panel. Then you can wiggle the points about to get the correct shape. And thus up the hull with as many plates and chines as you want.

Tad

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I suggest you use IntelliCAD to work on the flat patterns. It's a low cost AutoCAD clone. Most cutting shops using cnc routers or lasers will expect dwg- or dxf files.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The developed panels can be exported directly from Freeship as dxf files.

7. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

yes, but wouldn't you need to devide them into parts that fit on your sheets, and place the marts to minimize waste?

8. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I can set up my layout manually to maximize sheet stock usage since I'm not using CNC. Freeship appears to let you adjust the location/orientation of each developed plate.

Haven't figured it all out yet, but it looks like Freeship will automatically develop each face separately even if it isn't in a separate layer. Am I mistaken on that?

9. CET

CET Senior Member

If you don't create seperate "layers" for each developable surface, FREEship will not unroll them seperately. To assign a face to it's own layer, first create an empty layer. Then select (highlight) the surface(s) you want assigned to that layer, drop down the layers dropdown menu and select the empty layer you created. Then unselect the faces you highlighted earlier. They will now be assigned to that layer. Hope this helps.

PS - don't forget to check the "developable" box in the layer properties before developing your plates.

10. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Well, it seems to be unrolling them separately even when they're all on the same layer. I "develop plates" and get separate plates for each face component, port & SB.

I have a crease edge between each face so maybe that enables Freeship to see the separate faces as individual components? I'm using 2.0.

Thanks very much for your assistance!

11. CET

CET Senior Member

You may be right about the creased edge...

12. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

You can change existing surfaces to other layers by activating select inner edges (1.) then you can highlight surfaces you want to modify. Once you are happy with selection choose the layer you want these items to be in (2.)

upload_2020-9-28_10-19-3.png

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.