software to calculate CG

Discussion in 'Software' started by gonzo, May 14, 2007.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What is the most user friendly software to calculate Center of gravity and Center of floatation? I am looking for something where it is easy to shift engines or other heavy parts and will recalculate everything.

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Excel, there is no "easy way" becouse you need to know each of the weights of each of the parts on the boat so you can get the CG, and once you have this figured, then you can play around moving the heaviest objects like engines to see how you boat reacts.

Maybe something like this:

http://users.isp.com//vsw/pwe-pg1.htm

but you need to have geomtry of your hull and the location of frames and bulkheads

other way to go at it is if is a new design you can "guesstimate" where you want your CG to be, and play around until you are satisfied with the vessel floating condition, but again this is a "guesstimate" you still need to know (or best guesstimate) of the weights of all items and parts of your boat so you can have a fair aproximation to the final weight.

or use some boat for reference so you can "guess" more or less where you can locate your CG

cheers

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am hoping for something where I could click and drag an object and it would recalculate the waterline. I can do it by hand but is very tedious and easy to make mistakes.

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

"easiest" thing close to that, maybe bio design

http://www.geocities.com/dumchikov/bio_design/

if you have a hull you can use it to add weights to the hull and see it in free floating condition.

But again you need to know more or less as a preliminary where is your CG, then you can play moving around the main weights (engine, large weights ect..)

5. S17665

S17665 Designer

You can find Xg coordinate when you know displacement and static moment of the hull.

Xg = Ms/Displacement

Ms is the integral of weight force * coordinate rispect axes of rudder in the range (0 to L.O.A.)
    Is easy to find in exel ;) don't worry

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

AC and Excel will interact to some extent, I think maybe Rhino also. Would it be possible to have a 3D model update an Excel spread sheet to accomplish what Gonzo is asking? For the Rhino developers out there this would be a great plug-in.

Gary :confused:

7. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

Easy to do in TouchCAD. Just enter a weight or weight per area unit setting for each object in the Object info palette, and do an automatic weight and center of gravity calculation whenever you want. Compare notes with the automatic center of buoyancy. I do this continuously during the design process and requires almost no effort.

www.touchcad.com

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.