Software for hydrofoils

Discussion in 'Software' started by Panos_na, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

Do you know any software for hydrofoils?

(design, analyzing, calculating lift, etc..)

2. Hatchman

Hatchman Junior Member

Autowing

Sorry I only saw your question now.Autowing. I think you can still download a free version off the net else email me at howardloveday@yahoo.co.uk. I finished my thesis on Hydrofoil supported sailing catamarans at the beginning of the year. A friend of mine posted a brief report on my thesis on his website. I think the site is - www.sailingservices.co.za else www.sailingservices.com. Good luck and feel free to send me questions...

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

The major problem with hydrofoils is cavitation.

There are two ways to attack it in any detail...

1) You can use a 2D Panel method and adjust the results to make the Cavitation pressure the minumum possible. This may work reasonably well for foils with small amounts of cavitation. eg. deeply immersed foils.

2) You can use CFD. I think Open-FOAM should be able to handle a multi-phase flow, but it is a while since I have looked at it. It can certainly deal with Air/Water interface problems.

Not a simple problem,

Tim B.

4. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.