Software for deck layout

Discussion in 'Software' started by seahorse, Feb 11, 2005.

1. seahorse

seahorse New Member

Hello there,
    I am desperate for an easy to use program in order to design a proper deck lay-out for different decks of my diving safari boat (birdseye view, i.e. similar to sunseeker etc..) in vector format. Is there anybody who could give me some advice what would be the right program for that?
    Thanks a lot for hopefully some helpful answers...
    Oj

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Free 2D CAD software:

New version of intellicad for free, download it here:

http://www.progesoft.com/eng_index.asp

This software will take care of the 2D CAD only, beyond that you will need something else.

3. seahorse

seahorse New Member

quite complicated

Thanks a lot for your reply. Unfortunately I find this program quite complicated...would not even know where to start...am really looking for something more easy to use...it would laready help if I know where to find all the furniture etc. as vectorfiles. Any further suggestions? Thanks a lot.

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Seahorse, you won't find anything "easier" is all about practice, I know there is some software's that are easier to learn than others, but IMO Intellicad is one of the easiest CAD software's out there, basically they all work the same (similar features, interface, etc..) the CAD list can go on and on and on and on.... I can only recommend to stick to one and learn it there is not such thing as a magic button that does it all.

There is many forums that can provide you with help, maybe you don't have the time to learn one, if this is the situation then, there is nothing wrong using pencil and paper, in your case maybe this alternative is way faster.

For Cadblocks
    http://cben.net/

5. seahorse

seahorse New Member

Problem is that pencil drawings dont sell that well...thing is my noat is under construction but need to put together some promotional material for tour operators etc... dont have the time to learn that program eventhough I thought I am quite well with software (i.e. PS, FH etc...) but this CAD thing, I wouldnt even know how to set up my working space etc... any idea for vector graphics kind of clipart things which would make my life much easier? thx

6. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Seahorse,

We professionals use AutoCad. This is a drafting program that is nearly universal in the boating industry. Many manufacturers supply 2-D drawings in .dwg format (AutoCad) or .dxf format (generic) that can be inported as vectors into AutoCad. The design is totally arbitrary, so you have to know what size of equipment to use, and where to put it. There is no easy answer. Deck layouts on sailboats, for example, take a lot of time because you have to sort through the catalogs of all the equipment manufacturers, choose the correct type and size of each piece, grab the views of the unit from the CAD catalog or download it from the internet, and put it in the view where you think it should go. If there is not a drawing available, you have to draw a facsimile yourself. It is very time consuming, but really that is the only way it can be done.

Eric

7. seahorse

seahorse New Member

too deep

Thanks for the posts. Actually itall goes a bot too deep. Had a look at the sunseeker site and they provide the visitor with a proper looking but still kind of general deck layouts. Am more looking to something like this, it doesnt need to be 100% to scale. It just should show the general layout of the different decks, thats all. Any further ideas? Thx

8. yipster

yipster designer

you may -or may not- use 3d cad files out of popular house decorating programs.

9. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

pencil drawings do sell!

I disagree... I've spoken with several architects who've told me that it's always the hand drawings that do sell... having said that, it takes a lot of practice to do it that well... Considerably more than it would to learn a CAD package.

For 2d drafting I'd recommend AutoCAD LT... AutoCAD is by far the most common package and allows good control of line types and weights which is key to producing good drawings....

Just my two cents....

Dave

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.