Some Mech Drawing, Lot's of PC exp

Discussion in 'Software' started by bjl_sailor, Feb 25, 2005.

1. bjl_sailor

bjl_sailor Junior Member

But none with CAD or CNC. (I am a Unix/Linx/Oracle administrator by vocation sailor/boatbuild/wood hacker by avocation ) As I become more and more interested in sailboat building/design as well as wood working was wondering if you folks could recommend a good suite of Linux based CAD/CAM tools, and CNC stuff. Also any sort of primers and tutorials that are on the web. Thank you. Naval Arch isn't the goal but perhaps interfacing CNC with CAD via a CNC router system for cutting ply panels and parts..

Thanks

bjl

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Is not free but it runs on linux, Varicad

3. nevd

nevd Junior Member

CAD for Linux

Hello,

I would be interested in experience of Varicad users and what it is used for. How good is it in 3D and will it interface with dxf files?

Regards,

nevd

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Maybe not here, i just know of it becouse i did some homework looking for a low cost MCAD to learn and own, and i found Varicad very intersesting, but i opted for Alibre not the greatest but it does the minimal job, is not solidworks but for the price i was able to get Alibre, Varicad can interact with most softwares becouse uses iges, also it has some CAM features on it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.