So what went wrong???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ondarvr, May 19, 2014.

1. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Nope, the right time, local higher high. Check the tide chart for Anacortes, WA, USA for May 18th, 2014...

Lots of people not looking at all the data in front of them right now...

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Everything is a little clearer in the light of day, if there was a hurry to launch it on that tide, the results indicate it would have been better to hasten more slowly ! I'm not seeing it as the right choice, but if you do.....

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I think the person in charge of the launching could be roped into that too ;):p

4. Mr Efficiency

Who knows, maybe it all went wrong because they were racing to beat that tide.

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

No hurry, they had 4 hours left on that tide. I've undocked day, night, rain, sleet, snow storm, hurricane...often has more to do with clearing the dock/ways than with the light...which is meaningless if you can't do the stability calculations. FWIW, most dry docks run 2-5 year schedules...as do most contracts. You have a specific day you will get wet set well in advance.

Nothing strange here...go look at Tad's post with the first pre-weigh and stability assessment. Obvious there, but 90% of the folks that stick an oar in here wouldn't be able to recognize it. I'm going to bow out before the guys who's letters after THEIR names start with "J" get involved and make my rates go up.

6. Mr Efficiency

Whatever the story, not much fun for the people tumbling round inside it in the dark.

7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

nobody watching
    Now that I have seen it go down the ramp I can see it has nothing to do with the launch the thing fell over when it had a complete waterline.

8. nzboy

nzboy Senior Member

I always wondered how nordhavns stood upright until I saw their ballast. This boat has at least 7 ton above 20 feet forward of LCB on a narrowing water plane that hardly got in the water .I wonder what the launching weight was? hence centre of gravity 76ton with a 5ft draught including forward ballast? I suspect if it leaned any more than 12 degrees it would be gone Its loaded weight included 17 additional tons of ballast and 20 ton plus of diesel. That might have helped .

9. Mr Efficiency

Water entered the engine room, through where ? The porthole/windows were open ?

10. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

That's for sure! I hope the fellow does not think that what he does is "Journalism"........ I especially liked the part where he said that he wasn't going to show the public all of the recording. I guess Northern Marine can't handle the public seeing the unvarnished truth and he was willing to comply.

11. bob perry

bob perry Junior Member

Apparently the watertight door to the engine room off the swim platform was open at launch. Probably not a good idea with a stern first launch. The boat in the video does not behave like the boat in the stability study.

I'm done speculating on this but at this time I think Powerabout is on the right track. Regardless of how it was launched this boat is not stable in the current condition.

12. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  13. Mr Efficiency

Is there still a video showing the actual launch ? The one I clicked on has been censored, with a note advising everyone to "remain calm" hehe.

14. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Sounds like the defacation has impacted the rotary devise.

15. Mr Efficiency

Leaving any orifice open seems like a serious error, I built a boat once that had a self-drain floor, but locked the drain flaps down at the first launch just in case I had got the sums wrong, somehow. It floated at the desired level, you'd think with a $10 million boat all precautions to avoid water ingress would be high on the check list.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.