So very very cheap for a 62 footer...Why?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by sabahcat, Feb 5, 2012.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Big Cat
    "Max speed 18 knots at 2500 rpm for 160l/hr ...which is 8.8l per nm
    Cruising speed 9 knots @ 1300 rpm for 40 l/hr total"

I know they're 2 different boats much more room,can have dances and such etc etc but my 23 ton 53' mono with twin 635 Cummins at 20 knots is 160 l/hr and even at 24.5 knots I'm at 169 l/hr
    At 10 knots I'm at 35 l/hr

How can that cat be such a pig? I thought cats were always so efficient.

2. groper

groper Senior Member

its not a cat.. its a mono... thats trying to look like a tri...

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hard to get a clear view of the underbody in its entirety, there may even be a step under there, but in the pictures the bow high attitude underway is very noticeable.

4. WestVanHan

I thought I saw the hulls go through on another pic.:confused:

5. Mr Efficiency

It is hard to judge from those pics, the view where it is out of the water and hanging from the gantry, seen from the side/front it appears the gullwing terminates short of the stern, and I'd say the central hull does as well, because the stern view is just dead flat right across. Kinda explains the squat.

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I'd say something nice about it, but that might firm up the price, and we don't want to do that, do we Sabacat. When I buy my next boat, I'm going to post pics here before I bid on it as a negotiating tactic. The opinions would certainly be valuable in that sense. :eek:

Seriously, it is a bit of an odd duck, and that appears to be built into the price, but I wouldn't say it was a disaster. As mentioned by others, the transition to the flat transom is a mystery. I was guessing a strongly warped plane from vee to flat. That would certainly limit its speed. It also suggests that a relatively small mod to the aft run might be possible to adjust the performance envelope and carry a bit more load. Would need larger engines as well.

So as is, it may cost you $5000 a year more in fuel. So what if you can get it $200000 less than the next comparable. If those fuel figures are from actual usage during charter, maybe not all that bad. High house loads and etc. If performance failed to meet the Previous Owner's expectations, did they leave the wrong prop on it? Worth a test drive, I'd say. Most important thing is to get rid of those polkadot duvets. Are they marketing it to clowns or something?

7. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I also can't figure out the flat transom. Because it does not look flat at all in this picture:

51261-1.jpg

but it does here:

[​IMG]

:confused:

8. WestVanHan

The bolt on thruster alcove: if the camera were to drop or raise we may-or may not- see a hull there.Right above the starboard prop,by the angle.

Or is just a shadow from the small platform..and that tarp hanging down draws the eye too.

I guess if it is some sort of trihull those mpg arent too bad.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  9. WestVanHan

A zoom in...no illusion here

Attached Files:

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Then there must be an optical illusion on the transom pic...

11. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

This boat is basically a flat bottom boat with an attempt at passive air cushion. Similar to Airslot's of the 70's except, Airslot work rather well since they would get up on plane easily and had a vee to back. This boat because of lack of keel will probably walk sideways from a little wind. It will also pound in any kind of see because of flat bottom. There is nothing separating the props, probably will handle funny. Think of it as an oversized bay party boat.

12. DavidWaters

DavidWaters Junior Member

Interesting boat anyways,it is quite cheap and would make a big liveaboard.

I'm new to powerboats,and am wondering how good the mpg generally/ballpark would be on boats if you go slower.

169 litres an hour West!:eek:
    How often do you do that?

13. WestVanHan

Hi david I see UR on the board today.

The big speeds?
    Not very often,just when I need to beat a current or tide...how often have you sat around for hours waiting for the tide to change? Or gotten up in the middle of the night to catch a good current with a slow boat?
    Stuff like that doesn't bug me..I just hit the throttles for 5 minutes.
    Or if I want to beat a storm somewhere.
    From 15 knots to 30 it's almost the same mpg,though a bit better at 24 knots.

I spend 95% of my time slower...going fast it's hard to watch for whales and logs and I hate the thought of wasting fuel....7 knots is about 10 l/hr.

Don't really need all the power,but it makes the boat infinitely more useable. Get my speed rush by my 75 mph PWC,not a 20+ ton boat

14. Mr Efficiency

The front view doesn't show what I suspect is a step where the gullwing terminates abruptly, the step is possibly ventilated, if not it would be very much a drag-inducer ! All the wise heads here will realise that 'planing' is not really that big an influence on a boat this size at the lowish speeds involved, so that dynamics that may work a treat on fast smaller craft does not necessarily work with up-scaling. This 'ship' has some similarities to a trailer boat called the Hydrofield Jaguar, with a teminating gullwing and a flat (ventilated) pad behind it, which worked well, but at greater speed and with less bottom loading kg/m^2.

15. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.