Mexican suppliers all sell thinned poly resin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bullshipper, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

In Mexico, all the suppliers in town are buying Reichhold Polylite and thinning is with a monometer prior to activating it with cobalt. I suspect they are doing this to make a cheaper product in this poor fishing town.

All are mixing 12.3 parts monometer (styrene) with 37.5 parts resin and 100-200 parts Cobalt. The pure resin is 72% solids/28% Volatiles according to the data sheet they supply, prior to thinning in their shops.

I am about to laminate a 28'x10' catamaran plug made from plywood over plywood frames which I sealed with this same laminating resin prior to attaching the panels to the frames

But these supplier swill also sell me any Reichold product I want and mix as I please as long as I buy in drums.,

So do you think I right to use to the Reichhold product with no further thinning, just letting them add the cobalt to the resign I need to mix now ? but as far as I know, resin layed up with rollers and brushes should not be thinned.

I have sanded of the wood high spots, so I am now planning to fill low spots with resin and talc filler, grind, lay up 2 layers of cloth, then perform final fairing and waxing.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

28% monomer is very low, most resins wouldn't be usable with that amount.

35% is about the lowest levels that still keep it easy to work with, and those are DCPD blends. If it's not a blend you typically see at least a 40% monomer content.

3. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

Thanks, Ondarvar. I chaased down Alfonso at Composites One but he he said he did not have a store that could stock and could not import and sell in Mexico. His clients do that. So I am still battling to get reliable information.

So in your opinion it does need to be thinned.

Here is the Data sheet: POLYLITE® 8016
    Styrene 28% Polyester Resin 72%
    El estireno Concentración 28.00 ±2 wt% Propietario Resina Poliester Concentración 72.00 ±2 wt%
    They also say its recommended for Marble, with no mention below of Maine uses.

Reichhold, Inc. Corporate Headquarters P.O. Box 13582 Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3582 8am to 5pm Phone:(S) 1-800-275-6353 24 Hour Phone:(S) 1-800-424-9300 Fecha eficaz: 3/21/03 Hoja de los Datos de la Seguridad material MSDS Numera: 6317 1. IDENTIFICACION del PRODUCTO Nombre comercial: POLYLITE® 8016
    Familia del químico: Resina de poliéster no saturada en estireno Intencional Usa: Resina para mármol 3 2 1 NFPA RATING Salud: Flammability: Reactivity: Protección personal: HMIS RATING 2* 3 1 2. COMPOSICION/ INFORMACION En INGREDIENTES O S CAS Numera CHEMICAL IDENTITY EXPOSURE LIMITS CARCINOGEN STATUS H ACGIH OSHA MFR. IARC NTP OSHA A TWA STEL PEL STEL * 100-42-5 Styrene 20 ppm 40 ppm 100 ppm NE NE Yes NR NR Nombre común: El estireno Concentración 28.00 ±2 wt% Propietario Resina Poliester NE NE NE NE NE NR NR NR Concentración 72.00 ±2 wt% N

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

I know Alfonso, I'd think he could get you the right resin.

Marble resin will sort of work, but it's not that great for marine use. And yes, it would need to be thinned.

5. Bullshipper

Bullshipper Bullshipper

Thanks again for your help