A trip to Antarctica?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by boatscv, Aug 2, 2010.

1. boatscv

boatscv Guest

I'm new to the forums, so I'll take the chance to introduce myself. I'm a sailor from Texas. I have been sailing for a few years now, and the biggest expedition I've been on so far has been going from Hawaii to California.

So I thought about what would be a real adventure, and it came to me: taking a boat down to Antarctica!

But I'd like your tips and responses first.

Will a standard boat work for the job? I use an Alberg 30'

What about food and water? And clothing?

What dangers would there be?

I'd want to sail to Antarctica and actually set foot on the land before sailing back.

Please give me your tips and advice! Thank you very much.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

There's not too many who have made that so excuse if I give my humble opinion..
    Go to Antartic peninsula, follow the routes of the cruise ships, have the best sat data system available to get the latest weather and ice information, stay away from icebergs, get a (standrad) steelboat, install a diesel heater that works without electrics, don't step on the penquin egs and have a lot of warm cloths :)

3. ruysg

ruysg Junior Member

There's a good book from a brazilian explorer, Amyr Klink, that spent one winter in Antarctica and then crossed the globe, and got close to the north pole. He talks a lot about his prep for the journey, and the design and build of his boat (which is built in Aluminum btw).

The english edition's called "Between two Poles".

You should be able to get some good info out of it.

Cheers
    Ruy

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

What a hot destination Antarctica is, especially at the Pole! I hear it is 90 degrees there year round!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.