laminating with epoxy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by blink2u, May 1, 2012.

1. blink2u

blink2u Junior Member

so Im going to use epoxy on my new project boat,I have a couple of questions about acouple of things I want to do ,so I am hoping for some input and ideas.
    - the cuddy cab walls are a fiberglass,with no coring or backing,I was thinking of laminating 1/2 ply on the walls for support,would I need a layer of cloth between the two ,wetted out with non thickened epoxy?or could I get away with a heavyer coat of non thickened,or thickened epoxy?
    -down below deck,acouple of the plywood bulkheads were tabbed with poly and wovin roving,if I wanted to tab,using epoxy ,would I use acouple of layers of 6oz cloth in place of the wovin,or can you use the wovin with epoxy? Thanks for any advice on these questions!!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Log onto the westsystem.com and systemthree.com sites and download their free user's guides. These will describe their products, how to do basic laminations, etc.

6 ounce cloth for tabbing is only on the smallest of boats. Since you have a cabin, we can assume it's not a really small boat, so you'll want heavier tabbing material.

I'm not sure why you want to add 1/2" plywood to your cabin walls. Are they falling down? This is a common misconception and typical engineering mistake; adding bulk and mass to something, thinking it'll be stronger or stouter. It will be heavier, but not necessarily stronger. In fact, you might just weaken it in some regards. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but it is often the case without considerable thought.

Tells us more about your boat, the things you'd like to address and why you think these things need it. Make, model and year and any pictures would be a good start.