smartphones

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by yipster, Dec 29, 2010.

1. yipster

yipster designer

rite you are

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats fantasic, I believe you can make a phone call with it as well,---when will it end.

I got the cheapest phone I can buy --i use to to make phone calls with.

3. Northman

Northman Junior Member

That's a relief! I thought I was the only one left.
    Walter

4. yipster

yipster designer

5. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

i have an iphone, i am expecting to replace most of the electronis with it, wifi also.
    I see Android has potential too.
    Not always fully reliable yet, the web can serve as a surveillance via skype or other, hence one is shopping and can see his yacht and record what is happening, can even talk to "visitors" . The smartphone can become a remote for the dinghy and the yacht of course. The ipad is showing promess too.
    The raymarine cameras can have night vision , would that make it a radar almost ?
    My project will require electronics only 2 - 3 years from now.
    Alot to talk about in the near future.
    cheers

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Do you own a boat ? :?:

7. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

6 small crafts. Raced on J24 with my best friend who pasted away.
    Planning to build a 60 ft cat in ply or composites . Navigated from florida to bahamas on 58 ft motorsailor (6ft draft ...) . On the St-laurence river in storms and heavy heavy fog and in cold but fabulous weather. I dont have an "around the world" cruise project, this project is a return to the shallows of the bahamas for surfkiting spots until (if ever) Cuba really opens to cruising in the surfkiting spots we have done, and the US re-opens relations with them after ...
    I will have an auto-pilot, radar, ais, the whole shibang of electronics, from a budget of 10500 $, it is now down to less than 5k$. I always end up at the helm especially at night on must do night, i dont always like night shifts, but i am the only one who doesnt drink alcohol , nope, no on goes near that wheel even below ,08, my friends find me too stiff about DUI, i prefer DIY . It dates back 25 years, a very bad experience on the "easy to sail" st-laurence river ... i trusted and allowed a ,07 at the wheel ... it is a quick way to get a MOB ...
    Even with all that electronics, i will not throw away my paper rolls and sight reduction tables, my wife prefers best sellers books and she thinks my not so old books smell ...
    probably frustration from flunking her CPS even at 80%. OK she is resilient and we need a nurse onboard ... and a cute mermaid ...
    I have 6 macs and one PC ... yes i have an artist soul.
    Later

8. yipster

yipster designer

yellowcat, most the electronics you mention i had and those things get cheaper, had all new 15 years back fore less than 5k with diy installs
    yet you keep finding yourself at the wheel most of the time anyway and dont do away paper charts as they are a legal must to have aboard
    in the past i try'd nightvision also, there is the infrared type with a lamp that dont shine that far, a restlight amplifier i liked much better
    dont know what else is new but the vision equipm i try'd were from a frend and on a dark night in open water almost useless and not near a radar

9. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

yes, one thing we see more and more are the wakesurf boats with tremendous light beams. It is not legal for them to do it at night but the cops would have to do overtime ...
    it is for the fallen surfer, i dont know if they have helmets with led lights, we use leds lite green in front and red in back of helmets when we do night snowkite on the frozen lake, this is for snowmobiles flying at 100 km h .
    although i dont plan to do much night navigation, it is good idea to have powerfull beams for others to see us and when the beams lit the others, night vision becomes handy.
    One thing that can be very cool is in-water lighting the wake varying color flud lighting, for the rider it can be a hell of an experience, no way will i do this in salt water ...
    you give me a plus argument for explaining why i must keep my smelly paper charts.

10. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

need to put all the goodies in a box and drop them over the side of the boat !! get a life man !! you dont need any of them . You dont enjoy boating . you are a danger to every one close by you . Have you really every been close to the sea or water and closed your eyes and absorbed your surroundings the smells, the sounds ,the feelings ?
    just think !all the batteries gone nothing of your gadgets is working not even the motor in your boat what are you going to do ? I really hope one day you have a life threatening situation and you have to rely 110% on you instincts to survive ,i mean survive !! you make one small error of judgement and it will cost you your life and unfortunatly the people that will come to rescue you are putting there lives on the line as well !!
    You are living in a dream world ! can you survive one complete week not using any electrical appliance or gadget of any discription ?? just one week includes the door opener, washer, shaver, no phones ,nothing at all . I dare you to try it !!,and no cheating !!!!:p

11. yellowcat

yellowcat Junior Member

you got it all wrong, i have 4 sailboats, one fishing boat and one inboard outboard. I just hate my motor boats but i have to make compromises. The wakeboat i am designing is fully electric with a genset and solar panels. I prefer to mash my potatoes with my hand operated mill, the least electric gadgets on my boat the better. I even design the water pumps using the very weight of the batteries and food. Yes with water pillows.
    We have a family suseptibility to diesel a kind of alergy. It kills the "effluves" from nature and that ocean spray aroma.

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Just testing !!
    i love modern technology and gadets but most times they let you down when you really need them the most unless they are well maintained .
    simple is best and always will be ! when all else failes as it does basics is where we have to go !
    My cellphone is basic! txt only and vibrate no noise !thats it total .
    The people in the phone shop were totally bewildered when i said what i wanted . They fished around and found one !. Cost me 200 yuan with a 200 yuan discount because it was the last one of those phones they had and had been on the display for a couple of years and no one wanted it.It gets a lot of use mind you but only when i want to use it .:D

13. goboatingnow

goboatingnow Junior Member

In what jurisdictions are the mandatory carriage of paper charts required for leisure vessels. SOLAS V accepts that electronic charts may be used.

Dave

14. yipster

yipster designer

15. frasco

frasco Junior Member

I have a Motorola Defy which was designed to be IP67-certified (even if it isn't officially) and it's great even if the screen is somewhat small for using Navionics. I would love an affordable rugged tablet for navigation/surfing/whatever.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.