spreader mounted solar panels

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by HKG1997, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HKG1997

HKG1997 New Member

I am considering attaching solar panels to the spreaders on a yacht has anyone seen anything like this before.

Thanks

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

No. cos of the wind resistance and there being no need to do so and also the cabling length and drilling holes in structural reinforcements for no need....etc etc etc ....but do so if you must.

3. Wand

Wand Junior Member

And the weight of course - you really don't want that up there and you'll really regret it when the conditions sour. Back up the truck; it's a bad idea.

4. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Wind and weight as mentioned but also the shade from shrouds,mast and sails . So far the best I have seen and used myself is off the stern with adjustable mounts

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.