Aluminum Boat repair parts ?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by northrivergeek, Apr 27, 2011.

1. northrivergeek

northrivergeek Resin Sniffer

Good day all.. I recently acquired a 16 foot John Boat , that had been hit or ran into a ditch .. was told this elaborate story about jet ski hitting it after it broke free during a storm .. lets put it this way it was the biggest jet ski ever made lol :D
    ANy way the rub/hand rail in the front was broke two of the ribs bent, and then ripped off the transom corner brace .. I need to cut off the broke section of rail .. its all warped and bent .. I need to replace the section about 6 ft and weld the new section to give the side walls stiffness again.. and then cut one of the braces and push out the side wall back to original shape.. then re-weld the brace back it place and replace the rivets on that brace..

Does any one know where I can obtain a 6 ft section.. Ive tried several boat manufactures (retail) all I get is a run around .. they just want me to buy a new boat .. which I can understand .. but if I could do that I already would have.. the orig Landau Boats no longer makes Jons only pontoons..
    I have found a couple manufactures that use the same corner brace ( CAST ALUMINUM ) as Landau did .. one is G3 Boats.. they say go to my local dealer .. yea that was pointless
    The only aluminum supply I can find online that has the rail only sells in 16ft length .. the shipping on the piece would be horrible .. more than the cost of one tube [​IMG]

here is the corner brace [​IMG]

Can anyone help ?? Im in Chattanooga, TN would prefer a supplier within 200 miles to cut down on shipping

Can anyone help a guy out .. with a supplier that can

2. northrivergeek

northrivergeek Resin Sniffer

I cant believe that no one on this forum has any ideas on where to get these parts

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most of the parts on a small aluminum, riveted boat will be stock aluminum extrusions or fabricated from plate.

4. vampiresquirrel

vampiresquirrel Junior Member

extrusions

You can try faxing a picture (drawing) of the rail section to a place
    called "aluminum supply" in Orlando , florida. Garry there is very helpfull
    and if he does not have it he might know where you can look.
    Just google the campanny name and "orlando" - that should get it.
    I am having the same problem finding an aluminum floor stringer.
    I will have to make mine by hand from sheet.

Also call a companny called "alumitech" in orlando. They build aluminum
    airboat hulls.

Tim

5. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

The extrusions that these builders use are intended to minimize labour and increase productivity. If you're reasonably skilled with a weling machine and a grinder, you can make close approximations of these parts out of stock materials. Given the circumstances, are you really concerned with making this boats "as new"?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.