Block source?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Slainte, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Slainte

Slainte New Member

Can anyone recommend a source for good, reliable wooden blocks? I'll be using 3/8" and 1/2" line. Thanks in advance.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

All wood or composite (wood and metal)? In both cases these are fairly easy to make yourself, if desired.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

4. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Why wood? I can build a single aluminium block in 20 minutes, with hand tools, that is far stronger and more rleiable than most commercially built blocks.
    Brent

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I can too Brent, but does it look as nice as a set of freshly oiled teak blocks, dangling from strops on a dainty old gaffer?

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I've got teak blocks with medallions over the axles but those babies are not easy to find. For the classic look, solid broze is much easier to soure. Bristol Bronze carries those. Those old teak blocks are very well constructed. Never a problem at all, though they weigh a ton.

7. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

While taking longer, it's not all that difficult to build those either, possibly less work than hunting them down.
    Brent

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.