Small, ultra-rugged mini-expedition vessel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mackid068, Jun 23, 2005.

1. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

I have recently had an idea to design a small (32 feet or less) miniature "expedition" vessel, suitable for extended low-capacity (4 person) voyaging, short cruising (weekending or just buzzing about) and also, with modifications, suitable for police and coast guard patrol. Goal speed is 20 kts. on this semi-displacement monohull. I just have a couple of questions.

1. What is the best hull material for this design: Fiberglass or steel (or another metal)?
    2. What would be the "best" length, in you opinion?
    3. Is a semi-disp monohull a good idea for speeds around (+/- 2 kts) 20 kts?
    4. For sleeping accomodations, are bunks (such as those on submarines) possible/most space efficient or is it best to stick with traditional berthing arrangements (v-berth, mid-berth)

(Just know that this design is not intended for having all of the comforts of home, rather, it is intended to have safety, speed and efficiency, overall fun to use, without being overly complicated with televisions and whatnot.)

2. mackid068

Regarding styling, I am intending a boat with a hardtop and traditional styling something like this:

[​IMG]

Bunking would be much like below:

[​IMG]

(i.e. much like the accomodations for enlisted sailors on naval vessels, though nicely trimmed and significantly larger in all dimensions)

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I wouldn't bother it's been done before - I believe they are called 'fishing boats' normally!

Materials for what you want should be something that can be ignored, bounced, hit, easily maintained by a guy with minimum tools; only thing I reakon good enough for this is steel (wood is not bad as long as you use lots of it but steel is better, with good big heavy scantlings - everywhere!)

Bunks? these take up a lot and Ido mean a lot of room - I guess your idea would be to tie up each night? in which case settee berths are the thing, useful during the day and they can be slept on Small leeboard could easily be rigged up to keep you in at night. For long term running two 'Pilot Berths' outboard of the saloon with two settee berths and a table gives harbour sleeping room for four, and good (if tight) sea berths for two. Hope this is of help

the Walrus

4. mackid068

Wood is definately a no-no, saltwater will eat it alive (or dead, as the case may be.) :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.