Small Tri's under 20', any mention of foils is banned..

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by waynemarlow, Jan 13, 2015.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Maybe they shouldn't be called amas but low aspect buoyant FWORDs....In which case why not make them asymmetric for lift as well. Might help keep your other FWORDs small for high speed and less drag at lower velocities.

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

You're right, Wayne, this is the wrong thread for the 6.5 ... so I'm going to start a new one on the subject. But here are some images of what I consider some neat looking trimarans with float/foil combinations.
    First is the Gerald Holtom foiler, then a larger version he envisaged, then Noel Fuller's 12 x 12 foot Sabrina "floiler" he called it (this one of my old photographs in AYRS) and last Hydrofolie, which had combination float and foils but could easily have had angled slim floats like the Holtom/Fuller designs but with the same longer length. To me this would be a beautiful looking boat ... as is the original.

Attached Files:

3. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

To be fair guys, you can design some pretty wacky boats, but unless they are picked up by the mainstream volume market, they are just wacky boats.

Gary as much as I like your designs, I am one of a few, Doug you put it out there but don't follow it up with real life examples, sorry you are just an Internet lurker, time to put those ideas into practice.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

=======================
    That is just nuts! Some of the greatest designers ever proved their ideas FIRST in RC models which is exactly what I am doing. If you don't understand that you are simply very poorly informed. You don't give credit where credit is due because you obviously don't understand the process.

5. waynemarlow

Doug, the one thing I'm not is poorly informed, there are "doers" in life and there are "talkers" let's see a few more informed and doers on this thread please.::)

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Wayne, old mate, who gives a rat's flatulence what the mainstream thinks?
    I mean, what becomes acceptable by the masses, for example, multihulls, remember the anger, hatred and whinging that appeared when multihulls first came on the scene, especially here in New Zealand and Australia; you were considered communistic (this during the imbalanced Red Scare years) if you were fooling around with such weirdo designs ... so what started out as "wacky" boats, by observers, in time became acceptable (just) by the conservative mainstream. And by that time the "wackiests" have moved on.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Foils

=================
    Making a comment like you did in post 228 shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't know what you're talking about. Carry on.....
    PS- speaking of doers, Wayne have you ever designed and built your own trimaran? With or without foils?

8. waynemarlow

Gary what I'm trying to do is bring back a thread that was ticking along nicely about boats that some people may aspire to, others who I consider " mainstream" just maybe are interested in, to something that we may consider good design in 2015 with a little bit of 2016 in it.

So this is boat design forum, let's talk about 20ft or less Tri's without feckin "f****.

Doug please desist from just adding words which have little meaning to this thread, design issues or move on.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mainstream?

Wayne, have you ever designed, built and sailed your own trimaran?

10. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

Nice article on comparison of tri's

Building (very slowly...) a trimaran of 19ft with donor cat hulls.

I found this comparison of small tri's very interesting:

http://www.smalltridesign.com/Small-Trimarans-Review.html

Article of comparison of nine small trimarans. Might be of interest for this thread.

11. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Senior Member

What was wrong with the Cross 18 trimaran?

Such a nice looking boat. Why did it have performance issues - wetted surface area?

Discovery 20 also looks like a great day boat.

12. waynemarlow

"And your point is " in context to this discussion

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

"Doer's vs Talkers"

No point- just curious if you've designed, built and sailed your own trimaran?

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    Sounds great, Anthony! What design are you using?
    PS- I saw that comparison.......

15. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

? They didn't actually sail the boat- no data for performance given.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.