Small trimarans under 20'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Cholsson

Cholsson Junior Member

I will keep that in mind next time I design a trimaran. In fact, I though a small small bit on it... but then, what the hell :)
    Seen bigger trimarans with smarter set-up for main sheet and track

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

That's not very helpful.
    You could extend your boom and use a straight track, or move the curved track back over the rear beam.

I would have suggested moving the whole rig/ front beam back if you were just starting. I never could decide what the benefit was from having the rig forward.

Just noticed how fine the front of the hull is. It wouldn't have been my initial assumption, based on having sailed an old style Tornado and being concerned about submarining the bow. Both main hull (downwind) and outrigger (beam reach).

Cholsson likes this.
  3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

After beam is fine in its position, makes a less flexible platform - but the easiest and simplest solution to reduce leech fall off is to extend your boom - and spread the main sheeting tackle - otherwise you'll bend/break boom if using single point main sheet position which is too far aft.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

You could use a barber hauler that attaches to the outside of the rear beam to help adjust sail shape. It is a bit unwieldy though.

5. Vantage475T

Vantage475T Adventure Trimarans

Cholsson likes this.
  6. Baronvonrort

Baronvonrort Junior Member

I have a Bethwaite HSP fun to sail packs up into small package can transport on roof racks fits in a single garage beside car.

It's designed to sail on mainhull the floats are really training wheels you keep them out of the water to go fast.

HSP6.JPG

7. Cholsson

Cholsson Junior Member

All good things comes to a...pause? After four years of building-sailing-rebuild-sailing and tweaking of my small trimaran I will take a pause with Outlaw. In the fall I brought a Corsair Dash 750 and planned to sail next season.
    But I have lots of projects to be built and I will come back.
    Anyway created a recap video for 2020 of my small trimaran project :)

Chris

BlueBell likes this.
  8. Vantage475T

Sting 600 update - I'll drop some info in the foiling thread as well.

I'm actually buying the Sting 600 project and will be taking it forward as Len is going to be stepping back some as he is looking to finally retire - kind of.

He's looking at doing a further third version as a Mini Coastal Cruiser with a double berth, galley and nav area in the interim though - something a little similar to the Astus 20.5.

He has been out testing the updated foils (25% more lift giving take off around 10 knots which is great) but unfortunately no vids - it will have to wait until I can get it out in later in the spring.

Here are a couple of pics showing it folded / unfolded though and the lightweight bench seats giving a good idea of it.

The new website www.adventuretrimarans.co.uk will be live next month hopefully and the boat should be ready for testing (thrashing) in the UK from April assuming that we can get out of the nationwide lock down by then!

If anyone has any questions or further interest fire away!

Removable Bench Seats:
    [​IMG]

Folded Ready For Trailering:
    [​IMG]

Floats Extended With Rear Lifting Foil
    [​IMG]

Doug Lord likes this.
  9. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

What does it weight?

10. Vantage475T

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in answering.

In non-foiling Sport mode it is 420kg including sails, motor and anchor fittings.

In foiling mode it is 485kg again including sails, motor and anchor and fittings.

The anchor is a Manson R2 Racer anchor which is 1.2kg and the fittings include some chain and rope.

The current motor is a Hangkai 3.5hp which is very light I think at 10kg.

As a comparison, the Astus 20.5 which is obviously non-foiling but has the cuddy cabin is listed at 470kg with the infusion main hull. I'm not sure how much lighter the infusion makes to the main hull but it is pretty significant. I've just dropped a friend who has one a line as he will know - he has the non-infusion and said that is something that he would do differently.

The Pulse is 450kg I believe.

I'm not clear how they are weighed though - if that includes sails and any kit etc.

I know everyone doesn't believe the weights as advertised so I will make sure this is documented extremely clearly.

I'll get on the local weighbridge as soon as I can and post the figures as I need to double check for clarity on towing with my camper van anyway.

11. Vantage475T

Just heard from my friend about the Astus.

The infused version weighs 490kg - they have changed their weighing process and and it now includes sails and lines which really does seem the only reasonable thing to do.

The standard version weighs 540kg and the 50kg lighter infusion model costs around 1650 + VAT Euros extra.

Cholsson likes this.
  12. Cholsson

Cholsson Junior Member

I think the boat looks awesome! Very cool project, but lots of thing I don't understand. Show of some more speed? what is it doing?
    With this cool project, can't understand how its no videos showing what actually happening. Only 30 sec video, show a bit of the boat forward??
    The beams, looks like they will break any second? Are they carbon?
    upload_2021-1-8_13-32-19.png
    My boat is two feet shorter, and its HELL of a load on my beams when I start pushing it to 18-19 knots of boat speed
    Its no complain, I just don't understand how it can hold together here

Chris

13. Vantage475T

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, Len is not at all technically adept with cameras and technology so there is very little available.

However, as soon as it arrives in the UK I'll be out probably twice a week on it and putting up loads of information. Vids, GPS tracks etc.

My wife is fully prepared to not seeing very much of me for a while :):( - assuming lockdown allows it!

She appeared slightly happy in fact which is worrying...

The beams are wood and glass and were signed off by the structural engineer who also did the foils.

The beams have locking pins on the inner end that slide into the main hull to lock that end in place and will prevent the beam from being able to twist down close the main hull and the middle extends out quite a way so the thinner section is actually not so long.

Stainless steel wire stays are also just being fitted to the front beams as where I am based on the Western Solent there is significant chop - it knocks the crap out of us on out Spitfire catamaran which is also pretty speedy as it will do 20+ knots.

The stays should make it pretty bomb proof, but I'll be taking my hopeless, fat mate Crappy out on the early tests as he is a total liability - if something can even remotely break, he will find the weak spot and utterly destroy it.

A trivial example:

but his "abilities" are renowned far and wide.

I'll keep you posted - we would love to trailer it up to the Swedish Lakes behind our camper once we can all travel again! It looks absolutely amazing up there.

Cholsson likes this.
  14. Cholsson

Cholsson Junior Member

Thanks! Then I understand much more. If I lived closer I would be more than happy to help you film. Maybe follow the boat with my drone. Looking forward to see your upcoming posts and adventure

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Thanks for the weights, I just wanted to get a feel for it.
    Any further info will be welcomed, whenever you can.
    Are there still going to be plans available for home builders?
    Len had said they would be available for the non-foiling variant.

Aren't these amas just a variant of the Seaclipper series?
    A swing wing pinned and pivoting on the inboard and outboard ends of the ama.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.