Small trimarans under 20'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

In the post that Doug refers to there is a mention by the editor that the Nugget is 24 x 4 ft. Of course that should be 24 x 14 ft. Just a typo I guess. :p
    The Frolic would be a whole lot better if it was 16x11 ft .
    It was made 16x8 ft by Piver to comply with the allowed width for trailing on the roads.
    Of course at 16x11 it would require alloy cross beams, with wire water stays, and that would take away the little Tri's simplicity and increase the cost.
    Alternatively it could be made with fold up crossbeams, like the Nugget. But then, with the solid wooden beams and ply deck, it would be too heavy.
    So perhaps Piver designed it the right way after all.

3. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Attached Files:

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

It really is a pretty looking little boat, and it's name is very appropriate.
    It really has the ocupation room of a sardine tin. :eek:

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Extrem 16

Looks like Perspective Design will introduce a 16 footer very similar to their 19' foiler tri which still hasn't been introduced. Something to look forward to. Don't know any details yet......

Attached Files:

6. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

In a small trimaran, if the mast(s) were off centre but still in the main hull, what would be the effect and how would significant would the effect be? I'm thinking about a squarish
    section hull, and freestanding mast(s) moved to the side to free up space for a berth.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Very minor ,if any, in my opinion.

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Discovery (not 20 or under)!

Wasn't this boat produced for awhile already? Seems like I've seen it before....

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

11. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Tiny,

Are you going to have unstayed masts, no foresail?

If so you probably can get by ok, the only real problem will be the off center weight, and needing to put the mainsheet center position in a line between the two masts.

If you are going to have a jib, it will be off center from the mast, causing it to work better on one side and worse on the other.

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've only seen this couple of renders so far. It's to be built by Performance Multihulls/Aquidneck Marine the company who has built the trimaran PT11r (Three little birds) but there is nothing up on their website as yet.

http://www.performancemultihulls.com/

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

$629K for a 40' boat?

I guess I would like to sell those too.

It's a little too "discerning" for me.

Can't wait to see what they want for a rehash of a 30yo design.
    I'm assuming it is just the Discovery 20 with a bow sprit,

14. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Doug, Upchurchchmr, many thanks for your replies; your comments support what I was feeling.

I'm just (still) throwing around ideas for a tiny tri with one or perhaps two/double berths, which is still light enough to lug up a beach.

I really like the unstayed masts on my Solway Dory for the ease of reefing, rigging and light weight. The ketch rig keeps the CofE low.

Running the tube down the (in)side of a squarish hull removes the need for a heavy structure over the top of a microcabin.

Trouble is, the flatter the panels that make up the hull, the more bracing/bulkheads/thickness that's needed.

And this is a bigger boat than my SD, and will be heavier in ply, even if I swap laminated timber beams for aluminium tubes...

So, I inevitably reach the point where I accept that to keep the weight towards my goal, I need to consider a more hi tech construction - resin infusion, which seems a very committing process from an amateur viewpoint; Lots of investment in materials and consumables at risk if you don't get it right...

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

TT, I don't think you'd have to "soup up" your construction method any more than using hand laid carbon and epoxy resin. Even w/o a vacuum you could build a strong lightweight structure. I think ,depending on the design, S glass foam(or light plywood) and epoxy might work real well for the majority of the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.