Production boat similar to Escargot with pilot house

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jshaley, Jul 12, 2022.

1. jshaley

jshaley Junior Member

A while ago I bumped into a company that made boats, fiberglass I believe. Possibly in Europe. Maybe starting with an "H"?

The boat strongly resembled Phil Thiel's "Escargot" but the bow was not squared off - tapered in some. Nice radius edges as well. Had railings on the bow. And had a pilot house similar to Phil's larger "Friendship" model. The addition of the pilot house opened up standing headroom in the boat nicely.

I seem to remember the boat manufacturer had images of it in blue, and offered both displacement and planing models. Driven by outboards. Unrelated, same company offered a very nice sailboat as well.

I can't for the life of me remember the name though and wish to find their site again to learn more about their offerings or to help illustrate my dream of slightly altering Phil
    's design (or combining Escargot & Friendship)

Thanks in advance.

2. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

3. jshaley

jshaley Junior Member

Thank you for those links. I was familiar with that company. You are right, they expanded the design a little bit for more headroom.

But the company I'm currently searching for produces the boats and sells them out right.

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I enjoyed looking at those links, pretty ingenious layout, but the thing that strikes me about a vessel so minimal is the lack of storage space.
    I like to keep some tools and mechanical spares aboard, LOTS of food and beer, some fishing/diving gear, etc.
    There’s not even room for a decent size cooler, and the porta potty could call the trip off in a couple of days!
    Maybe European canal cruising offers more amenities than I’m aware of?

5. jshaley

jshaley Junior Member

kapnD,
    Right you are. The Escargot itself does not even offer standing headroom. Small space for sure. But compared to my 12' canoe or 11' Shellback dinghy she is a a step up. Camping to "Glamping."
    Intended use would be sheltered waters - lakes, rivers and canals of New York state in US (I am in NY, I suspect the commercial design I am looking for was in Europe).

Phil Thiels plans indicate she sleeps four. I'd go with two and use the extra bunk space for the afore mentioned tools, spares, food & beer. The other design's pilot house approach opens up the living space some.

Tiny Turnip,
    I glanced at you link while at work and thought it was a Berlin company that rents slightly modified Escargots. Looking at the links again I see it is a rental company but the Escargot Vitesse in your link is the boat I was thinking of. But the site was from a builder who offered a few sister models, more photos and some videos as well. All really showing off the boat. But that is her. Funny that she may actually be much closer to Thiel's design than I thought.

Very much appreciate the links. Will reply with the manufacturer's site when I can remember or find it.

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Four people bunking aboard that would indicate strong friendship and high tolerance between them!
    One good fart could spoil the whole deal!

7. Dean Bixler

Dean Bixler Junior Member

8. jshaley

jshaley Junior Member

Dean!
    That is it. Haber yachts. Amazing. Many thanks.

kapnD - yes, if it was a house the realtor would use "cozy" in description. Just myself and possibly one other. More of a weekend camper rather than extended cruising. Builde Joe Mix has some nice in use videos here: Phil Thiel's ESCARGOT https://www.woodenboatstore.com/products/phil-thiels-escargot-digital.

Towing is a limitation or me, as well as build complexity and budget. The Escargot ticks off a lot of boxes but I like the pilot house on the Haber 20 really opens things up.

Dean - thanks again.

John

9. jshaley

jshaley Junior Member

So it sounds like a joke - three boat designers walk into a bar...

I like the simplicity of Escargot, which to add pilot house like Friend-Ship or Haber 20. The Escargot/Friend-Ship from Phil Thiel hull shape is simple as can be. Flat, slight curve for rocker. But no tapering for bow or stern. The barge bow is as wide as midship. The Haber 20 appears to have flared up the corners a bit and on a similar barge boat, Dianne's Rose (RoyDesignedThat https://www.roydesignedthat.com/) I can see that he flared the bow as well as the bottom being not 100% flat. The edges are slanted up (there is a proper term applied to dories but it escapes me).

What advantages would such a hull provide over flat hull with rocker for a low-speed sheltered water displacement hull? Tracking?

10. Dean Bixler

John,

The deadrise, or V bottom, forward, will lessen the pounding/slapping. I would like to think it would also extend your cruising opportunities to some protected bays as well; saying that, I hope some of the more experienced people on this board will chime in if I am leading you astray.

I like Thiel's designs but I suspect something like Atkins River Rat, Atkin & Co. - River Rat https://atkin.mysticseaport.org/Oar/RiverRat.html , might be a little more versatile.

Cheers,

Dean

bajansailor likes this.
  11. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

12. Dean Bixler

John,

I just realized a couple of things:
    1. I know absolutely nothing of calm rivers and lakes where the Escargot would be perfect. Down here along the Texas coast we have our choppy bays. And any calm lake nearby is quickly a churned up mess with jet skiers and those damn wake boats that take on a couple thousand gallons of water ballast to make a bigger wake!
    2. When you figure in the difference in length, beam, and hull depth, the Escargot is probably close to half the size of the Haber, Friend-ship, or my River Rat example; a much more doable project. With its 6 ft beam and low profile, I think the Escargot would also make a nice easy to tow camping pod when on the trailer; a bonus!
    Have you considered incorporating a bimini or some canvas for the wheelhouse? Maybe make a little wider and deeper hatch for your standing room area aft?

Cheers,
    Dean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.