oyster 100 sarafin

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by AMW marine, Apr 13, 2013.

1. AMW marine

AMW marine boatbuilder

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

An interesting masthead rig. With three spreaders it ought to be quite strong.

What I don't get are the two parallel roller furlong jibs.

They seem too close together for both to be flown at once.

Are they set up for a down wind 'wing and wing' arrangement. This is the only explanation I can think of.

I though of one being a different size than the other, so changing jibs could be done very quickly, but how can you fly the outer one without it fouling the fore stay of the inner one?

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Two different sails used for different wind speeds and angles. If you watch the whole video you'll see the inner is a blade and the outer a genoa/asymetric. The outer must be rolled up to tack, no biggy when it's all hydraulic.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

As Tad stated the sails are for different wind speeds. reacher Genoa, staysail.

Megas dont sail with spi poles.

The sails on those boats are too big for humans to handle..they always stay hoisted on foils.

Stripping a mainsail takes two cranes and a half dozen crew several hours

The inflatable headsail battens are interesting.

Id expect this technology to work down to smaller yachts

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.