Small power catamaran

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bsmit24, Jul 5, 2005.

1. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

This is great news Aksan! Please post your links to the sellers of plans for all these boats. Then bsmit24 can select his favorite one to build -- since he wants to build his own boat rather than buy a 'plastic fantastic' from someone else.

Now you've lost me. Where did bsmit24 say anything about wanting a design that looks 'cool' ... or simple to fabricate ... or for the US boat market??? Unless I'm mistaken he said he wants to build one small power catamaran for himself so he can cruise and fish it it, and therefore he is looking for plans. He also said his main objective is to get a smooth ride with little power, and he prefers a relatively small boat but something that would take rough water.

However ...

I don't think bsmit24 cares that much for fuel efficiency because a 40 HP engine pushing a planing hull is not what I might call 'fuel efficient' by any stretch of the imagination. In fact it will likely consume 5-10 times as much fuel as the little inboard engine in my design. Nevertheless he already has the engine and apparently wants to use it rather than buy another one -- and in this case I think it is fair to say that his primary goal is to find a boat to go along with his engine.

2. northerncat

northerncat Senior Member

i to heard the bloke saying that he was looking for plans to build not for someone trying to market their boats, as an aside the skiffs from constellation yachts look good but they need slightly higher sides
    sean

3. mundifisher

mundifisher New Member

Does anyone know what sort of speed you could get out of a hobie 16 without a rig and a 10hp outboard and two people on board?

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Put an outboard on a Hobie and it will likely get similar speed to what it achieves under sail in a moderate breeze, no faster. A Hobie Cat cannot plane by any stretch of the imagination. This mod would kind of defeat the purpose of the design, though.... although I don't doubt that it is possible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.