small pontoon need help (help size pump for propulsion or other shallow propulsion?)

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by gunnysgt83, Jan 19, 2011.

1. gunnysgt83

gunnysgt83 Junior Member

hello iam new here and i need some help if yall could be so kind. iam building a small pontoon 6'x12'. i have it all made up in my cad programs but i need a way to get this thing moving.(motor type) ok so i am making this for dredging in the river's around my house, i plan on using my 4" keene dredge to do the job. iam sick of having to put everything on floats and tie it to a canoe just to get to a good spot so a small pontoon would be great but the issue is in some spots the waters only 5-6" deep so a small outboard wouldnt be a good idea. So i was thinking (never a good thing) would the water pump be able to push this thing? iam not looking for fast speeds but i need it to be able to go against the river about 3-5mph. so is it possible for a pump that puts out 350gpm to do this? here is a link of the pump.http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P289H&Category_Code=EPif not what well get me to about 10mph? i think the boat will be around 300-400lb. ty for any help.

2. gunnysgt83

gunnysgt83 Junior Member

here's a picture of the boat in cad.[​IMG]

3. gunnysgt83

gunnysgt83 Junior Member

sorry i dont know jack crap about these things or were to even start to figure out what i need. lets just say i used google alot and ended up here. hope someone can help.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. gunnysgt83

gunnysgt83 Junior Member

i can dig that, i dont even think anyone in the southern states would look at me funny. however i just dont think its safe with my kids and friends going prospecting with me. really i just dont think its safe for anyone in fact i could just see a few beers a dredge and that would make a bad day.

6. Pandoras box

Pandoras box Junior Member

Try a paddlewheel between the pontoons. There is also a propulsion system I believe it's called a mud bug or mud something. It is essentially an air cooled engine with a long shaft and a propeller at the end. They use them in the swamps of Louisiana.
    My two cents, Mike

7. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

I have moved 6" diesel water pump mounted on 2- 36" pontoons, 12' long. At idle the discharge hose would push it around a strip mine pit at a speed of 2-3 mph. If you could connect this hose to a tiller mounted discharge pipe you should be able to control it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.