small motorboat / regulation and rules

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by max, Dec 3, 2003.

1. max

max Junior Member

Hi there,

I work on a small motorboat design powered by an outboard motor , for a guy in germany. He likes to produce a small number of this type of boat in canada. Does anybody know where I can find the necessary rules and regulations for that kind of boat. ( 8m long for 6 paying guests plus 2 crew, cruising on rivers and lakes in Canada, it will be a wooden boat )

Thanx

Max

Ps.: I would also be very interested to compare my design with other boats. So if any body has experiance I would be very interested to share it. I think I can show some results in about a week.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanx Tad,

you helped me a lot !!!

Thumps Up

See you,

Max

4. max

max Junior Member

again

Hi again,

I was only able to find construction rules for small vessels up to L = 6.0 m but nor for boats up to 8m or in my case to boat got bigger last week L=8.5 m.... I send two emails to Canadian transport but got no response up to today.
    I have got the dream that someone out there maybe has got the rules I need or knows where I can donwnload them. I got ten days left otherwise the owner kicks my ***....

cheers,

Max

5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Max, I understand that the Transport Canada Regulations are sometimes difficult to search through. Are you looking for scantlings regulations (such as planking dimensions, frame sizes, etc.) or required equipment information (such as firefighting equipment, liferafts, etc.)?

If scantlings information is required, use any recognized international agencies' guides, such as Det Norske Veritas' "Rules for Construction and Certification of Vessels Less Than 15 Metres (1983)". For safety equipment & required equipment, go to

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulation...csa076/csa76.html#0.2.VF5B4I.Z2BFBE.YEFTID.M2

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Max,

What you want is in the Canada Shipping Act, it's just hard to find and sort.

This is small commercial vessel stuff.

Small Vessel Regs

7. tonyr

tonyr Junior Member

Just curious, but what makes you think that there is a market for any such animal here? Making things, boats especially, is relatively easy, but selling them commercially is another problem entirely. Canada ia a pretty underpopulated country, and if a person is interested in getting on the water, he probably has got a boat already. Why should a person pay to go on someone else's?

Tony.

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I think what you want is

TP 11717 E

This covers small passanger vessels up to 24m in length and more than 12t gross and less than 120t.

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Tony,

You are right. Canadians own more boats than almost anyone, per capita, if you count canoes and kayaks.

But what if you are not from the great white north? If you are just visiting and want to look around a boat is a nice way to do it.

All the best, Tad

10. max

max Junior Member

Thanks a lot for your fast help !!! I think I can work now with the information from you all ! And again I´m very impressed of this forum.

See you,

Max

11. tonyr

tonyr Junior Member

Tad, yes, in theory, which I also used to believe! It has been tried in this area many times, but the eight week tourist season, combined with the huge insurance premiums charged for carrying paying passengers, has killed ALL such ventures.

Boat tours do indeed work in very selected places such as some big harbours (e.g. Victoria, where I took a most enjoyable tour this Fall, St. John locally), some big centres (Winnipeg, ditto some twenty years ago etc.), but otherwise essentially not at all.

Gven the above, I would need to be convinced that yet another outboard driven 24 to 26 footer had any chance at all of making sales for the stated purpose.

Sorry to be hard boiled on this, but thems the facts as I see them.

Regards, Tony.

12. max

max Junior Member

first job

It´s my first job as "designer" , I have fun creating the boat, I get payed what should I say.... perfect.
    If the owner will have economical success with his idea... I don´t know... I can´t help him with it.
    I will put some pics in the forum next week, so you can see for what you all helped me with the hints for rules.

Thanx again,

See you

Max

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Max, if your client is in eastern Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick - we have a lot of German visitors and part time residents, especially here in Lunenburg County) and needs any assistance on this side of the Atlantic, I'd be pleased to help if I can. Not limited to boat stuff, either.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.