Small, independant living units, on water ? - Possible ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Mar 29, 2014.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

In looking at the USCG site last year,non-fuel (ie. propane) explosions and fires every year are from 70 to 100 incidents with IIRC 170 in 2012. No data on diesel explosions....

I have enough to be concerned about with whales,cetaceans,logs,rocks,and idiot boaters etc

2. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I have a kerosene stove/oven combo in my boat.

If the cook objects to the facilities, I can always get another cook....

PDW

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"Boat fires are rare. Out of the 4,588 boat accidents listed in the U.S. Coast Guard’s 2011 Recreational Boating Statistics report, only 218 involved some kind of fire or explosion. Now consider that there were nearly 12.2 million registered boats in the U.S. in 2011, which made the chances of experiencing a boat fire less than .002 percent."

Causes of Fires Started Aboard
    Click on the links below for more information:

1) AC and DC wiring/appliance - 55%
    2) Engine/Transmission Overheat - 24%
    3) Fuel Leak - 8%
    .... Diesel is not immune from igniting either – one fire was started when a ruptured line sprayed fuel on a hot manifold. ....
    4) Miscellaneous - 7%
    5) Unknown - 5%
    6) Stove - 1%
    Stove fires appear to be less common (1%) than in the past, probably due to fewer alcohol stoves being installed on new boats. Still, alcohol can be a dangerous fuel; though it can’t explode, an alcohol flame is hard to see. One fire was started when a member tried to light the stove and gave up because he couldn’t see the flame. Unfortunately, he had succeeded, but didn’t realize it until he got a call from the fire department. Only one fire was started by propane; a portable stove fell off a counter and ignited a cushion.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/fire/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Usually much less explosive to keep the same cook.

We had a Broadwater Kero stove/oven, worked pretty good & economical, our local servo still had a kero bowser back then. Still had some issues with pre heating with metho, I've heard of gel cubes for preheating but never seen them & wonder if there's any 12 volt preheating option. Heard of a boat on Pittwater that burnt out due to a preheating incident. Essential ingredient is patience....... & paying attention!

Jeff

PS: I think when we got the setup it was a really good deal...... like a "run out" deal "cos the builder of the stoves was getting too many calls on "issues" with the kero & was going to focus on gas!
    We got a spare set of self pricking primus burners & a tube of "Stag" for sealing, I think there may have been an option for jetting for deiso too but might have been the same.

5. WestVanHan

So F what? I don't want propane in the boat....and BTW I guess the USCG is wrong?

6. WestVanHan

Having a quick look on google and found this... ahem..cough cough

7. Navygate

Navygate Previous Member

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I don't suppose you still have those spares? If so, do you want to sell them?

WRT preheat, the easiest way is to clip a Tilley lamp clamp-type attachment to the burner. Basically a wick in a small tin housing you keep in a jar full of metho. When it's just about out, the burner is heated correctly.

PDW

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

That was quoting USCG figure - I guess you didn't read or understand the data. Also, that quote ""Boat fires are rare" wasnt mine - it was from an Insurance brochure. If they dont know what is going on - who does ?

The figures you posted weren't incorrect - they just didn't tell the whole picture

"the chances of experiencing a boat fire less than .002 percent." out of "12.2 million registered boats in the U.S. in 2011,"

Of that .002%
    5) Unknown - 5%
    6) Stove - 1%

So Propane isnt causing a huge rash of fires - Electrical faults are 55% of the .002% problem.

10. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Howabout Induction Cooktops

I think over the years I have heard of more instances of the alcohol stoves causing fires on 'moving' vessels than propane ones. Its not that really difficult to do a good leak-proof installation, AND provide a double safety device like an a 'source cutoff valve.

Gasoline engines on vessels have been utilized for years, and certainly these can represent an explosive hazard. But they have not stopped putting gas engines in boats....including charter vessels.

I never really subscribed to the idea of electric stoves onboard vessels, BUT this new 'inductive' technology is quite appealing. Here is a discussion page on a coastal trawler page:
    http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/induction-cooktops-12898.html#post199200

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

They went with the boat........

Jeff.

12. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

What about diesel stoves ? I have seen some pretty flash ones on the web but not used one.
    Are they a bit dirty / difficult ?

13. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

I wonder what the results would have been had they further clarified each cause, percentage wise, by if an idiot was involved or not?

14. Navygate

Navygate Previous Member

"Boat fires are rare."
    I'd have to disagree with that one.
    Explosions would be included, no?
    Even if they were classified as rare, they are by far the worst event you can have on board.
    IMO the general statement serves no good purpose.

15. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I & maybe most of us have been an idiot at times.... but thankfully not all the time.......... & mostly had luck on my side at that time.......

Jeff;)