hand starting cranking

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by glenville, Jul 30, 2008.

1. glenville

glenville Junior Member

I am sailing a 27 ft with a 1gm10 yanmar diesel that can be started with a hand
    crank ... it has saved me on a number of occasions with dead batteries and once with a bad solenoid. I am now building a 32 ft sailboat and want a diesel
    in the 25-30 hp range ... are there any diesels out there in that range that can
    be hand started? thanks for the help

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Bukh is one for sure, yhere are still others

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The old Volvo MD series can be hand started but Volvo parts are priced INSANELY!!

Google Lifeboat starting motors , there use starters that run on Hydraulic pressure , a bit pri$y , but a good reason to install a Hyd windlass , that never stops when the "white smoke" escapes from an electric jobbie.

Hyd pressure if lost can be replaced with a hand pump in a short time , and if your LAZY sheet winches can usually be hyd operated too.

You tail, as it turns , and you pressurize later ,after the tacking duel.

FF

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member