cleaning between layers of glass

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by naturewaterboy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

I've read several places to not use acetone to clean between layers of glass. Why is this? Does it just evaporate too fast, or is there some other reason. Can Naptha be used?:confused:

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Mix a 50/50 alcohol to acetone
    Real Alcohol not drug store kind

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

How long has the first layer been left to cure?
    The sticky layer at the surface is what allows a better bond, if you remove it before applying the next layer, the bond won't be as good. If the surface has cured until there is no tack left, then cleaning it with solvent will have little effect and won't really improve the bond, it needs to be sanded before the next layup.

I'm assuming you are talking about polyester resin and not about epoxy blush.

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

what resin are ypu using

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I assumed everyone knew they need to sand

Yes, you need to sand. I used acetone to remove moisture, my fingerprints, oils and dust. Mixing Alcohol gives you more work time.

6. naturewaterboy

I'm using epoxy - what I've been doing is clean the sticky stuff off with acetone then sand. Anyone use peel ply between layers? I heard about it back when I was into experimental aircraft, but my local supply house doesn't know what it is.

7. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

peelply is the way to go, it will save on sanding big time, i use it regularly when i work with epoxy

8. frastorno

frastorno Junior Member

does the peelply works with polyester resins as well?

9. naturewaterboy

I did see that one supplier had two types of peel ply listed - one that was only for polyester, the more expensive was for epoxy and vinylester. They are two different colors -I think blue and white.

10. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

Nylon dress liner from wal-mart will work as peel ply. Just make sure you test it first.

My favorite peel ply is made by Richmond Aircraft. Merritt Marine in Ft. Lauderdale carries it. You may have to buy in bulk though.

USComposites up in West Palm carries your generic "peel ply" and it will work with any resin. They ship very quick.

The difference between the two peel ply's you mentioned is probably coated vs. uncoated. Ive never heard of any peel ply being epoxy only.

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

acetone makes the "waxy" build up hard so you can sand it, they say not to because people tend to over-do it and too much will start eating your resin up,, even kicked off. to just clean, i use denatured alcohol , but if its cleaning before painting jus use a DAMPENED rag,, dont leave no wet streaks,,it will show up on your paint job

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.