Small hole in floor

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cassanova, Jul 22, 2007.

1. cassanova

cassanova New Member

Hello everyone. I have a question for you. Yesterday i was pulling up the teak strips that hold the gas tank in place(previous boat owner must have done this) because im going to carpet my boat. I noticed that the hole from the screw closest to the wall went all the way through the boat. If it helps it is a 69 model tri-hull. what would be the best way to plug this hole? Fiberglass?? Thanks in advance.

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Fill it with micro ballons or another marine type filler and glass over it on both sides.

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

for temporary fix ,,jam a pease of wood in it ,,like a small dow,,then when you pull the boat ,do the latter

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd recommend you not use a light weight filler like micro balloons, which have no strength. Milled fibers, silica, cab-o-sil, wood flour etc. would be much better choices. The light weight fillers are to fair (make smooth) uneven surfaces, not fill holes. Log onto www.westsystem.com and look up fillers in their how to section. Or you could buy a premade filler in a tube sort of thing at the local marine parts store.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If its just a screw hole, ie approx 1/8 I would put 3/16 drill into it but not all the way through . This would clean out the hole ready for a good adhesion. I would mix up some epoxy and whack it in the hole, push it well in , when it come out of the hull wipe it off and put some tape on it. Put some tape on the inside too.

Then all you have to do is carefully clean off the outside just before it hardens fully with a razor blade.

6. mtnrat

mtnrat Junior Member

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

If the hole only goes through the deck/floor, you only have to squirt in some caulk to keep the water out of the plywood. If it actually goes through the hull to the outside of the hull, repair as above.

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

dont ever fiberglass over filler, it will crack, take a 4 inch grinder and feather out the hole,( dont make it a circle, circles that have been patched show up on final paint job) and fill with glass,and the grinding job doesnt have to be the whole 4 inch grinder, gouge it , making a small line with edge of grinder then feather that out