Sevylor 360 with wood bottom design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Chris1125, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Chris1125

Chris1125 New Member

New to the forums.. But I would like to improve my sevylor... I currently have a plywood bottom with indoor/outdoor carpet... I would like to know if y'all think it would be ok to put plywood and carpet over the actual front of the boat to create and standing/ casting platform with a small livewell underneath...and maybe a chair like a small bass boat.... And also if y'all have any ideas to create storage around the boat with plywood or something like bass boats. Get back to me thanks!

2. davhill

davhill Junior Member

Um, er, sure. Why not? Plywood seats work well on those so why not a foredeck? Screw it down so it doesn't shift .... what's that? Inflatable? Oh right.. no screws, then. Gotta keep it from shifting, so um, hang a beer cooler /live well from the underside, fitted to the pvc sidewalls to brace the deck and... well heck you already suggested a live well didn't you? Dude, why are you asking US.. sounds like you already have this figured out. Just prototype it with a cheap piece of ply to make sure the weight distribution is ok...

3. Chris1125

Chris1125 New Member

Also I was wondering on what your thoughts would be storing this and keeping it inflated since I would be doing all these mods I do not want to deflate it each time.... And if you think spending the money on this would be worth it.... I would rather transform a Jon boat into a bass boat but do not have the money right now.. But do you know of anywhere that they sell old Jon boats under 300$?

4. davhill

davhill Junior Member

Chris, I must warn you that my responses are generic, for I do NOT have specific experience with the sevylor. But unless someone else speaks up, you're stuck with my commonsense .. for whatever that's worth. Your idea seems sound. Plywood is relatively cheap,so if you're short of cash and already own the sevylor then I see no reason why you shouldn't try out your idea.

If you have the space and can keep it protected I also assume you can leave the boat inflated. Expect to top it up before each use .. these boats tend to bleed off a little air over time.

As for a jonboat under 300 .. try local Craigslist and Want-ads .. you could get lucky.

5. fast company

fast company Junior Member

You could do it. Starting with a rigid hull or a RIB would be easier and less wiggly. And not have the worry of abrasion points and ungluing at new point loads. Search before you start.

6. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Chris:

Would this be top heavy and possibly overloaded with the mods? Would there be more of a leaking/abrasion/sinking hazard where the vinyl meets the wood? Quality of Sevylor inflatables range from dangerously poor to good, depending on model/price. Even in shallow water, losing your equipment and getting back home would be unpleasant to dangerous. I store often used, quality inflatables at maximum rated pressure, but make sure that the heat/cool storage cycle doesn't send storage pressure over max.

Most small boats are used soon after purchase, and then only a few times more, maybe 3 times a year on the same crowded holidays as everyone else, if that. Point being that there are plenty of used small boats around that go for pennies on the dollar. You just have to look around a little and see they are everywhere, waiting for someone to make a bid on them, or haul away free...

Hope this helps.

Porta