Bulk Carrier Offset Data

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by StudentNavArch, Mar 26, 2015.

1. StudentNavArch

StudentNavArch New Member

Hello Boaty people,

I'm a student Naval Architect and I need the offset data or a CAD model of a reasonably sized bulk carrier (150m min) for a piece of University work I am currently doing using AVEVA software. The project is basically to do with optimising a ships hull form in different ways using the software.

Anyone know the best way to get hold of this data.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys :D

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

This is a ship of the following dimensions:
    Loa = 121 m
    B = 5.18 m
    H = 10.08m
    If you make an affine transformation you can adapt to your needs

Attached Files:

3. StudentNavArch

Thanks TANSL.
    If anyone has another please still post it. This one is good although a bigger one would be preffered. Also, a bulbous bow would be beneficial.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You may not have understood what I say. By an affine transformation you can get that hull has exactly the dimensions you need. They are the shapes of a bulkcarrier and therefore can be used perfectly. Nor will you ever noticed that ship has bulbous bow. I like to help but I like the person I intend to help read what I send.
    Cheers.

5. StudentNavArch

Sorry TANSL,
    I was not sure what you meant by affine transformation at that point but now i understand. I did read the file that you sent, I was only mentioning the bulbous bow so that anyone posting a new file would know more about what kind of hull form I was after. Although, as you have pointed out it is no longer neccesarry for someone to do so as your hull form satisfies my needs.
    Don't be so quick to judge in the future.
    Thank you kindly.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Sorry, SNA, but I found your answer quite frustrating. Do not worry, you have no problem with me.
    If anyone has a more similar boat to what you need, and is kind enough to do so, could send you the forms. But in this forum is not very normal to talk about this type of vessel.

7. zapata

zapata Junior Member

I am also looking for a similar thing. The file that TANSL has posted looks helpful but how am i supposed to convert this set of profile sections into a hullform. My software wont open a dwg file anyway

8. zapata

zapata Junior Member

surely you need the waterlines and buttocks at least before you can convert it into a 3d model (some how?!)

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

zapata, I don't know the tools you have at your disposal but with sections on my drawing there is insufficient information to make a great 3D model. If you tell me what CAD programs you have, maybe I can give some advice to get it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  10. zapata

zapata Junior Member

thanks. i have access to a few cad programmes, although i havent used all of them before.

Rhino 3d, AVEVA Marine, Maxsurf, AutoCAD.

I am most comfortable using AutoCAD and AVEVA

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

With AutoCAD and my application ARQN, you can get a 3D surfaces model, almost, automatic. That model, .igs format, can be exported to Maxsurf, Rhino, or any other CAD program.

12. zapata

zapata Junior Member

This sounds perfect. However, it will not run for me. My AutoCAD version is 2016 (64-bit) and is being run on Windows 8. any ideas?

13. zapata

zapata Junior Member

i have started downloading autocad 2014 to see if it works

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My experience is with Rhino. The stations TANSL provided are more than enough to create a 3D hull model. The simplest method in Rhino would be the Loft command to build a surface though the stations. Other software has similar commands. Separate surfaces would need to be created for main part of the hull, the forward upper portion of the bow and for the bulb, and then blended together.

Buttocks and waterlines can be created from the station curves. Creating waterlines and buttocks from a complete set of station curves is or at least was a standard procedure for naval architects.

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I agree with you, DCockey, however my experience with this type of shapes tells me that with water lines can be obtained a much better model than with the cross sections.
    Also, as I said earlier, the data contained in my drawing are not enough.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.