Confused newbie

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Lion warrior, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Lion warrior

Lion warrior Junior Member

First I've never built a boat before in my life, but I'm trying to figure this out. My first question is what is the difference between building wooden boat and a fiberglass one? It seems like building a fiberglass boat is like building both a wooden one and a fiberglass one. Second, would it be better for me to build model ones instead of jumping in to a full size boat? Sorry for those that get frustrated by these what seem to be easy questions but i'm kind of confused. Third, wouldn't the boat be more flemsy if you just use a plug and fiberglass it or am I missing something on that process?

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Fiberglass won't rot. Wood isn't nearly as itchy. Even with fiberglass you need to install seats, thwarts, bulkheads etc. which would brace it stiff.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Time to start reading the recommended thread that Rick posted.